SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pitpat_gw

continuing wood floor into kitchen? and historical integrity?

pitpat
12 years ago

Ack! I think I am in over my head!

We have recently gotten plans for a kitchen remodel, which requires removing part of the wall between the kitchen and dining room, to make it a "great room." We are not 100% sure yet if this is the way we want to go, but we are exploring the possibility and just had a contractor out to give us an estimate. He asked if we would be continuing the hardwood floors into the kitchen, which I hadn't considered. What do you think? I had assumed we would put some nice tile in, but now I'm wondering if that's going to look weird, since the 2 rooms would be connected by more than a doorway (which is how it is now). The problem is, the wood floors in the DR and the LR can't be refinished. At some point we plan to replace them, and if we extend the wood floor into the kitchen, obviously we'd have to do the LR and DR floors at the same time. But I don't know if we have the money to do that now. So those of you with "great rooms," what do you have? One floor for the kitchen and one for the DR? How does that look? Or do the 2 rooms have the same flooring?

Also, aside from the cost issue, one thing that is nagging at me a little is whether we should do this at all. We have a nearly 100-y-o American Four-Square, and I am wondering what this change would mean for the house's historical integrity (for lack of a better term). It's not the like rest of the house is all Prairie/Craftsman - it's rather jumbled - but this is a huge structural change. Does it matter? Why? I never considered this until we had the house painted a couple years ago. I had wanted to put up some shutters until I realized it's a rare 4-square that has shutters. I posted on the home decorating board and the gist of the responses was "no shutters," so we didn't do shutters (and it looks great w/o them). We are also in the process of replacing all our outdoor lighting, and we are doing craftsman-style fixtures. But it's not like the house will ever be furnished that way. It's just too late. I know we could include some craftsman accents in the kitchen. Is that good enough? Or does this remodel seem like a mistake? Our kitchen is small and awkward, and taking down most of that wall would give us more room, specifically an island with a breakfast counter, which I really want. I think overall I am leaning toward doing it but would love some opinions on this. TIA!

Comments (19)