SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlikin

Where to buy Kraftmaid in NYC?

charlikin
15 years ago

I think (hope) the insanity is drawing to a close. I have had *such* a hard time picking cabinets.

THE SAGA: I started with Hanssem, which I liked for the door style and for being frameless, but hated (hated!) the (maple) finishes. I gave up on frameless and went to Medallion - loved the stories here about how good Medallion quality is, and I'm able to get a good price on them. But - you guessed it - don't care for the finishes. Really *tried* to like them - spent tons of time staring at them - but couldn't come up with one that would work for me. (Wheat ended up coming close, but it looks too much like natural and I want some color.)

Meanwhile, every time I walk into a Home Depot, I am drawn to the Kraftmaid Ginger Glaze sample kitchen. (Every HD and Lowe's seems to have one.) Not sure if that color would actually work in my tiny galley kitchen, or if it would go with my chosen countertop (Zodiaq Smokey Topaz), nor do I want to pay the 15% upcharge for it (15%!!!).

So the closest finish with no upcharge is Toffee - I saw a sample kitchen in Toffee in the Lowe's in Brooklyn, and it's quite nice (if a little boring), and it'll look great with the Smokey Topaz (much better than the greyish formica they paired it with - I have to say, I think the HD sample kitchen designers are much better than the Lowe's ones!).

SO - after making myself (and my poor mom in FL) insane about this for *weeks* - I've decided on Kraftmaid Toffee.

The question then is where should I buy it? My choices here in NYC seem to be either HD (very convenient), Lowe's (not so convenient), Expo (also not convenient), or an independent dealer located in a lumber store in the West 40's in Manhattan. (Maybe there are others?) Given the stories I've heard about quality control issues with Kraftmaid, who is more likely to give me better service? Would anyone have a specific recommendation for a dealer?

Thanks!!

(And many thanks to Kompy who was of enormous help in posting photos and talking about the differences between Medallion and Kraftmaid. I wish she was in NYC!!)

Comments (7)