SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

uh oh....floor too dark for kitchen?

beekeeperswife
14 years ago

First I have to say--I don't have any pictures, but if you can use your imagination, that would be great.

We have purchased a dark cork floor for the kitchen reno. It is Natural Cork Narrow Plank, Corte. It looks beautiful with my granite, Bianco Antico, and my ivory painted cabinets that are the "L" perimeter of the room. I also have new cabinets for my small (48") island and pantry fridge wall. The new cabinets are cherry, stained with "peppercorn". It is a very dark rich brown color.

So all of these elements really look great together but I was secretly starting to get a little worried about the dark floor with the dark cabinets. (The floor is not installed, it is a click and lock and we have decided to do that last).

Last night, DH made the comment how "nice" our old floor looks with the dark wood--old floor is not really nice, he just meant the lightness of it. So, I looked at him and said, well we could use the cork in the family room, and he didn't disagree. So I feel as though I am back to my original flooring dilemma: Hardwood in foyer, can't match it to carry it in to kitchen--don't really like the look of a different color hardwood butting up next to dark floor of foyer, so that leaves.......what? Stone? I have bamboo in my bathrooms, love it--but it has the look of "wood" and then I would be back to my original problem of 2 non-matching woods touching. I have seen some sort of tile that has a look of texture to it, not the wood texture, but it looks like a grass texture. Any info on that?

I am sorry that there are no pictures to show you, but if you might have a suggestion for the floor, in some sort of light color that would be great. If I had to describe my kitchen, it would be Transitional. Not Tuscan, not farmhouse, yet not too modern. Maybe I'm just crazy--maybe a light color hardwood would look fine up against another hardwood? Anybody have pictures?

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any help you can give because everybody here is so helpful.

Comments (11)