SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2bake

white perimeter cabs + dark island in 1840s Greek Revival??

loves2bake
12 years ago

Hi all,

I've been lurking/reading for some time and haven't posted a question since we were in the planning stages of redoing our very outdated kitchen in our very old, historic home. The remodeled space is about 12 x 20 (long and narrowish) and the ceilings are about 7.5 ft high with irregular exposed floor joists from the space above. The cabinets are fully custom and being made in our old barn out back. They are beaded inset and we plan to paint them white with a honed absolute black granite countertop (we love soapstone, but can't seem to find it anywhere in our area). We want to make the kitchen look as period and authentic as possible with a "primitive," furniture-style look.

My question is whether to paint the 3.5 x 7.5 island a dark/black distressed color or do it white like the rest? It will have a butcher block top. My builder is pushing for the distressed black and says he can make it look great. But....I'm worried that it might looked forced, dated, whatever. Not to mention that the detail of the lovely beaded inset cabs and beadboard sides will get lost in the black.

I've searched the site for similar questions, but would love to get some feedback on my situation. Thanks so much!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz