SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

SS counter vs. hardware: must it also be stainless?

theresse
13 years ago

Granted it's a free country and all that jazz but still... I need a decorator's eye here. My countertop will be 1" thick stainless steel but it will be a period kitchen in general (e.g. white farm sink, gooseneck faucet, hundred year old cabinets (painted white, at least until I think of something more interesting), butcher block island top, and period-appropriate (1913) light fixtures, not including the more modern under-cab lighting.

I don't want too much stainless in the kitchen due to it looking too modern if there's stainless everywhere. But that's mostly regarding appliances, so I'm not necessarily opposed to having some silver-colored hardware...but I just don't have an instinct about it one way or the other, it seems! And I don't know if it should be a little of this and a little of that, or all the same finish or what (?).

I'll need to choose a color/finish for the pendant light above the sink as well as the center ceiling light, as well as the outlet and light switch plates...and probably also the drawer bin pulls and latches on the craftsman cabinet doors.

It seems to me my choices are chrome or nickel, brass, aged/antique brass or black. Also I could also have boring white plastic plates on the backsplash since it will be white (honed calacatta marble, subtle veining) but if anyone has any better ideas, please do share. The kitchen which sill has many original features currently has old brass (truly antiqued) push-button light switches and outlet plates. Would antique brass be too ridiculous near a stainless countertop?

So how do I make this work? My options seem pretty limited, though I really love stainless counters in an old house and don't want to stray from that idea.

Thank you!

Link below of my kitchen in progress if it helps:

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen in progress

Comments (5)