SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Solutions Brand Microfiber Cloths

monicakm_gw
15 years ago

My favorite MF cloths were the 70/30 blend of the NicSand cloths found in the auto dept of WM. When I found out they were discontinuing them I stocked up (a few years ago). Well, I just opened my last pack in Dec and will need to look for another brand. I'm looking for some really "sticky/grabby MF cloths with the 70/30 blend. Lots of you swear by the Solutions brand. Do they fit the description of what I'm wanting? They're on sale for $7.60 vs the regular $9.50.

Thanks,

Monica

Comments (20)

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

i think the solutions cloths are 80/20. Keep looking in automotive depts of stores, I found some that come in a pack of a white and a blue cloth, and also another brand in packs that combine a canary yellow and lime green cloth, both brands are very good.

I want to order from solutions if they still have the dark colors which I got years ago.

• Rudebekia
    15 years ago

The Solutions brand is really nice--very thick. But I've found the cheaper versions just as versatile and I don't feel bad about just throwing them away when they get yucky. I can't find any at WM anymore, but Target has a big selection of blue and white ones in the automotive section.

• Related Discussions

Microfiber cloths - leaving dust behind on mirrors

Q

Comments (5)
    peabody1, I have the same problem using the yellow Costco microfiber towels on mirrors. They leave tiny fiber debris that really shows! I bought some kitchen microfiber towels that are sold online @ Costco and are waffle weave texture. THEY work fantastic! I plan on buying a few packs of them to use for cleaning I like them so well! I'll continue to use the yellow ones for car washing or heavy cleaning etc... Hope this helps! BTW, Costco refunds shipping costs if you don't like something and have to take it back to the B&M store.
    ...See More

'best' microfiber cleaning cloths you've found?

Q

Comments (15)
    ajsmama, my mother's big HDTV came with a cloth as did my little 19 inch one. They are the smooth microfiber ones like you get w/ eyeglasses, not the loopy kind that snag on the dry skin on your hands - LOL! However, I ahve used those on my TV no problem. The screen is not glass. You just spray whatever on the cloth, NOT on the screen. I just wet mine barely and wipe it off. They do make a spray cleaner for the TVs, but plain ol' water has worked for me so far.
    ...See More

Microfiber cloth

Q

Comments (8)
    Yep, they have a "grippy" feel to them. My son refuses to fold them, because he hates the way they cling to his hands! Do NOT wash them with your towels, you will never get them separated. I have a bunch and wash them on their own. If you have a Sams Club membership, you can get huge packs of them there for $10, its' a terrific deal. Otherwise I've also seen them at Walmart. You can check in at the Cleaning Forum, too--if you search on Microfiber you'll get tons of ways people use them. I love 'em, and use them for all sorts of things--I have yellow for icky jobs and green for dusting/cleaning things that are not icky. Happy Cleaning, Cj
    ...See More

Microfiber Miracle Cloths

Q

Comments (2)
    If you're in Canada, Dollarama and Home Hardware both stock them in varying weights and sizes. They are little lifesavers, aren't they. Love 'em.
    ...See More
  • cindyinsocal
    15 years ago

If you live near a Costco, they have a six pack of microfiber cloths for about $11. Online it is a twenty pack.
    We originally bought them to use on our boat, and liked them so much, that I bought another pack for home. Not sure what the count is, but they soak up liquids very well, work great with cleaners, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: microfiber towels

• imrainey
    15 years ago

I didn't know they came in different formulas.

We use almost nothing but microfiber cloths at my house. We have almost eliminated all the chemical cleaners by using them. If they don't do the job by themselves, we use spray solution of water and white vinegar with them.

I have also found that they're cheaper if you buy them from the auto department. In Target by just moving over half a dozen aisles you can save close to $1 each. Also, remember to never wash them with anything else and never use fabric softener. Washing them with other things results in lint embedding in the grabby fibers and using fabric softener results in them getting gummed up and becoming useless.

• ma-bookreader
    15 years ago

imrainey,
    do you mean to say that you wash your microfiber cleaning cloths in a wash load all by themselves? How many do you own? It seems like it would be a challenge to get enough together to form a load to put in the washing machine.

It had not occured to me to consider what they were laundered with!

• lmalm53
    15 years ago

Sams Club sells big packs of 24 MF cloths that are 80/20% but still very soft, thick and grabby. Brand name is ProForce Commercial Products - MicroFiber Towels 16"x16" size. They come in bright yellow, blue or green color choices. I think they were $19.99 for the pack of 24. I use them all the time. I keep the yellow ones for all the really grungy work and reserve the blue ones for my ceramic cooktop, granite and other smooth surface cleanups.

I did learn my lesson about not washing them with anything else. I washed a bunch of MF cloths along with some bath towels and they did indeed grab onto lots of lint. Also noted that at least the ones sold at Sams Club should be washed separately first to remove the excess color dye because they do bleed a little the first time washed.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

I wash my MF cloths by hand. I get them from WalMart- they are the 'Great Value' ones, blue in colour, and very thick, like a terrycloth.

I also use the same brand/type on my MF mop, and when I have a few dirty, I just fill up my bathroom sink with hot water, throw in a little laundry powder (stuff left over from old washing machine that I can't use in my Front loading Washer), leave it for an hour or so, and when I come back cloths/mop heads are clean!

Now, I use ordinary dish cloths for the skungy, gungy, really dirty stuff, and the MF basically to polish, coffee stains it, and I'm a little OCD, I like the MF cloths to look nice, so I don't use them to wipe spills.

• imrainey
    15 years ago

Yup! I only wash microfiber cloths by themselves. I use one at each sink. My housekeeper goes through a dozen or more plus two designed for a mop when she comes once a week. So I gather them all and do them once a week.

Since I get them in packages of a dozne or so meant for auto washing cheaper than the ones packaged singly for housekeeping I have them on hand. Thick ones for dusting, regular ones for general cleaning and flat ones for glass. Investing in them is cheaper than half a dozen dedicated chemical cleaners.

I wash all the microfiber -- whichever nap -- together. There is almost NO lint in the dryer lint trap.

• ma-bookreader
    15 years ago

Thanks for explaining how they must be washed. I love coming here and reading because I get to learn new things.

Now, I've got to go shopping for more of these. My new kitchen is being installed starting today, so I will soon be needing these.

• karenfromknoxville
    15 years ago

Hi,

I just started using Microfiber cloths on my SS and would like to get a Microfiber Dust Mop. Which one do you recommend? I'd like to get one I can wet for the kitchen and another dry one that I can use on my hardwood floors.

Also, a very dumb question...do I use Pledge or Endust with the Microfiber cloth on the tables? Or just the microfiber alone?

Thank you for your help!

Karen

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

I've bought both the costco ones shown above (in their housewares area) and the yellow ones in automotive area. I love the dishtowels shown above - because they are not so grabby that they catch on dry hands. The yellow ones from the automotive area are pretty much like the ones I used to buy at WM. They're less expensive than the dishtowel ones.

Karen - for dusting I just use them plain.

• ovenbird
    15 years ago

ma-bookreader, microfiber cloths are great for cleaning just about anything. I started by using the Solutions brand, but now use the much less expensive Sam's Club or Costco ones from the automotive section.

If you use microfiber cloths where there is sawdust, be prepared to toss them or relegate them to extreme grunge cleanup only. I have yet to find a way to get sawdust out of the fibers. If anyone knows how to do this, please share!

• sbcichocki
    15 years ago

Ooooh, I can answer the question about sawdust!! When it is the big chunks of saw dust like when it is raining outside and your husband brings in the table saw to cut the 2x4s, you can pick those out pretty easy with your fingers. When it is smaller saw dust like from sanding tweezers sitting out in the bright sunshine works pretty well. If that doesn't get it all I have used a hairbrush, like a boar bristle brush, to brush out the rest of the sawdust. I'm not sure I would ever trust these clothes to anything extremely delicate again, but they will work for grunge work. Cleaning them is extremely time consuming too! I learned that on my micro fiber dust mop, one of the kids grabbed it up and used it to sweep up saw dust. What a mess!
    S

• ma-bookreader
    15 years ago

Well, I have added microfiber cloths to my Costco list!!! Hope to be able to head out this week.

Thanks everyone!

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

I originally purchased a pack of green MF cloths at Home Depot and fell in love with them. I can't recall the exact price, but they were MUCH cheaper than what I found at other places. On a recent trip to Costco, I found a HUGE pack of yellow MF cloths in the automotive section. They are larger than the HD cloths, and somewhat thicker. They were super cheap.
    I have had good results with both products, but really prefer the Costco ones because they're larger and thicker, and just feel better when I'm using them.

• lmalm53
    15 years ago

I was wrong about the pricing at Sams Club for the pack of 24 MF cloths. Its not $19.99 but only $9.85! I was just there yesterday and checked. That's a great deal! I picked up another pack :)

• mmme
    15 years ago

Okay, humbling confession here: I do not know what a microfiber cloth is. I see them mentioned here all the time for cleaning stainless and granite. From what little I gathered by searching the term online, they're kind of like the cloth rags I use for dusting. The big benefit is that you don't need cleaning solution--just rub with this cloth and you're done. Is that pretty much the gist of it?

• cindyinsocal
    15 years ago

So here's another source for MF towels. I ordered these yesterday from Amazon, as I liked the color to keep out in the kitchen. They looked a bit more like real towels than the others. They will be here tomorrow, so we will see how they are.
    While I love the Costco ones,(both the ones I posted about earlier and the bright yellow ones) the colors do not look good hanging in my kitchen. I just keep them in the drawer for cleaning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Microfiber dish towel

• imrainey
    15 years ago

Microfiber is not just cloth. They are also made with something called polyamid. I put a link to the wiki on microfibers below.

It's interesting that they warn that you can wreck plasma screens if you use a cloth that has already been used for other purposes because they can, as ovenbird suggests, grab onto solid things and not let go. That's why the fine nap ones for glass are a good idea and shouldn't be used for anything else.

If you wear glassses and your optometrist gave you a tiny bit of fabric for cleaning your lenses, that's microfiber. And you've probably noted that it gets grimey fingerprints off all by itself.

Here is a link that might be useful: microfibers

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I have the Bona mop which uses microfiber cloths for cleaning and dusting. They have a formula for hard wood and for wood laminate and tile. Works like a breeze. Love it! Can't believe the amount of dirt that thing picks up even after I vacuum.