SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ssnewbiegw

facelift for 1960's kitchen

M F
9 years ago

Hello All.
I am new to this forum (and home renovation), we are redoing a house that was built in the 60's and has until now been lived in by the original owners. It is a big project, but we are excited to have a house to make our own!

As we have lots to update, we are trying to be as cost conscious as possible. And since it seems like the most important room we are starting with the kitchen!!

We currently have 2 of the kitchen walls with knotty pine cabinets in good shape. We would like to add another row of upper (glass doors) and lower cabinets (solid doors) to one of the empty walls. It would function as a butler's pantry/bar area.

The current cabinets are knotty pine with planking and black strap hinges. We plan to paint them a light color. White/cream/pale beige? We will also swap out the strap hinges, and fill the holes.

My main question is how can I pull the new cabinets together with the grooves in the older cabinets? Seems like changing out the doors would be harder than it sounds. Will it look ridiculous to have 2 cabinet styles?

Thank you again. Any and all advice appreciated!

Comments (21)