SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glitter_and_guns

Where was your money well spent?What could you have done without?

glitter_and_guns
10 years ago

I closed on a house in January knowing that the kitchen was going to need an update. The "bones" of the kitchen are good, and I find it a very comfy space in which to work. My initial plan was that I would tear out to the studs (removing a section of wall) and start over. Having lived in the house this long, I realize that I would really rather split my budget, doing an update to the kitchen, and taking every penny I don't spend to put into the pool area to construct an outdoor kitchen & ramada.

I know that I am going to slate the floors to all the common areas. Thankfully my favorite flooring is cost effective. I need counter tops (icky laminate now), new sink, new faucet, new backsplash, a bit of lighting, new hardware (there is none). I have "big box store" stove (slide in - not what I want) & dishwasher & built in microwave in stainless - I had intended to upgrade those, but think I could hang onto them. Then the cabinets become the question. They work well, are in good shape, and loaded with pull out shelves, spice racks, and all that stuff - they are golden oak and I can't stand the color - again I had intended to pull them out and buy all new... but... maybe with the gel staining they could stay. I don't want them to look like I SHOULD have upgraded them but got too tight with the purse strings.

So, help me out - where did you cut? where should you have cut? where do you regret cutting? What did you feel was a splurge but has been worth every penny? Things that you splurged on that you wouldn't do again? I refurbished a century home years ago, but the internet was not such a dominant force, so it was easy to not be sucked in by the latest counter edge cut, the edgiest trend in color, or the perfect light fixture important from foreign lands produced by recluses that only open their doors to send out light fixtures once a year for 3 days during the spring rains.

Thank you!

This post was edited by glitter_and_guns on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 0:58

Comments (5)