SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hollylh_gw

Very tall uppers...arlosmom? rmkitchen? others?

hollylh
15 years ago

I am blown away by arlosmom's kitchen, which she has just posted, with beautiful tall cabs...this and the discussion of tall uppers with a 9' ceiling(stacked vs. not stacked) on another thread came just at the right time for me.

I have 9' ceilings and in our redo the cabs will go all the way up. I like both stacked and not stacked--stacked are more expensive, but I might be reusing some of my old 36'' high boxes so I'd have to get stacked (and maybe the cost would be OK). However, I really LOVE the look of arlosmom's uppers (which are 57''). A cabinet guy was here yesterday with my (probable) GC. He said he only built uppers to 42"--I didn't ask for an explanation but he said something about the studs--maybe he thinks they can't support the weight? (which makes no sense because if they're stacked the weight is the same.)

I know 42'' is the max for a lot of cabinet lines but it seems custom could be different. Have any of you encountered these issues? do they have to be supported some special way?

I should add that this cab guy was a real Dr. No type--he MIGHT drive me crazy, except I love my GC, who is Mr. Yes and who I think knows how to jolly Mr. No along. What I mean is that every, and I mean every, suggestion of mine got the worried face like I had just punted him way out of his comfort zone. (Ex: Even after I explained I wanted new cab doors but they were going to be painted, not matching the current stained boxes which would also be painted, he was very concerned and had to be convinced that I really, really meant painted, not matching stain, which he DOESN'T DO because it leads to PROBLEMS. He brought this up several times. I suppose the anal retentive types are good carpenters?)

Anyway I am thinking that we can strongarm him into making taller uppers :) but I want to have information at the ready (and I already have arlosmom's pictures!).

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: arlosmom's kitchen

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!