SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jphillips_3_gw

Kitchen floor, cabinet and granite counter colors - opinions need

jphillips_3
10 years ago

I fell in love with black granite when I thought we were keeping our honey oak cabinets. Since then we have decided to replace those also -- going maple. The backsplash I have picked out is glass with browns, grays and slight green in it (see pics). The black granite looks good with it. The dark maple cabinets look good... but I'm not sure that the black granite looks good with the dark cabinets. It doesn't "pop" -- however it is a very "rich" look which is what we are going for.

I don't have a style -- I am rather eclectic. However, the look I am going for is classy and "upscale" -- yet comfortable and practical for a family with four kids. I don't like the rustic look in flooring or cabinets.

We would have loved wood floors -- but with kids and a dog, we just can't do it. So, we decided on ceramic tile that looks like wood. Many were "rustic" (look for cabin)... but did decide on and now love the one in the pictures -- medium color with a slight gloss on the surface gives it the rich look we want.

Now... does it work together though?? I was told by one person helping, yes.... black granite, dark maple and medium wood tile floor is great. Another said counter, backsplash and cabinets are awesome together -- but are cool colors and floor is warm, so no! FYI -- thinking a gray paint... one shade darker than greige (gray-beige).

backsplash with dark maple cabinet, black granite and medium wood colored tile (granite blends more and doesn't "pop"?... is there both warm and color colors going on?)
OR
medium maple cabinet, black granite and medium wood colored tile (cabinet too similar to the floor??)
OR
use a different granite -- like tropical brown -- maybe more practical with kids prints... but doesn't provide that classy look??
OR
Use a different floor -- tile store suggested one with various color tiles including grays and browns... in the picture. Colors match nice with the backsplash, but it is overall less "classy" and more rustic at least up close.

HELP! I need to nail down these decisions soon!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (2)