SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newsouthernbelle_gw

How do I choose a Kitchen Designer?

NewSouthernBelle
12 years ago

This might be a weird question (and it's a little long too - sorry) but I feel like I am spinning my wheels. The background information is that we are going to remodel our kitchen next Spring but between now and then I want to get everything planned out, decided on and perhaps purchased in the hopes that it will go smoothly, without delays and stay on budget. (Dream big right?) So after doing lots and lots of sketches myself, I have decided it is time to hire a kitchen designer. I have interviewed 4, narrowed it down to 2 and just don't know which one to go with at this point. So... I am turning to you good folks for some help (which may or may not help).

KD #1 - I'll call her Coffee. She isn't boring like vanilla ice cream but kind of, more like coffee flavored ice-cream. She was a top KD for EXPO. She seems very, very organized (which I love) - has a filled 3-ring binder with tabs for each kitchen component, specs for each selection, etc. I was ready to hire her after I met her but I already had an appointment schedule with KD#2. I called references, they loved her. My hesitation is, she almost seems a little too conventional and I fear she thinks I am going to be a high maintenance client (which DH says is true). But later when called with a few more questions and asked something about but even after I get the finalized binder aren't there still a few odds and ends and will you help with those? She was like, "Well no, once I give you the binder I'm done. All the selections have been made at that point and I am out of the picture."

KD#2 - I'll call her Pistachio. She's seems more cutting edge, hip and trendy (which I'm not particularly but I am certainly not vanilla). I think she is creative in ways the first one isn't. She gets good deals/discounts - including from the tile store I want to use but more than that she is cost sensitive and tries to save you money. She is not as organized though and even one of her a past clients that I called said, while she did an excellent job on the kitchen, she did mess something up on the bathroom, which obviously just makes me a little nervous. She also costs $1,000 more. She did say though once a job starts, she keeps her clients folder with her at all times b/c she expects to get phone calls from the contractor at 6 am asking questions about specs and what not.

Thoughts? I am just so ready to make a decision and move onto the next part. As far as me and my style, from the Sweeby Test, I am going for Light, Bright & Open, Clean and Classic, Casual but Sophisticated/Elegant and as Breezy once wrote "Elegance with an Edge". I am very organized and detailed. I have a lot of my own ideas but just need some hand-holding, encouragement - "yes, that granite works with your backsplash idea and will look fine with the cabinets too", etc. I do like some some sparkle/bling/pizazz but feel very strongly about not doing something trendy that will look dated in 3 years. So that's me. And just writing out my thoughts has clarified my thinking. I think I know what to do, but I would still love to have some of you weigh in. You know, encouragement/hand-holding. Thanks!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022