SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orangekitchenbgone

Second guessing my soapstone slabs

orangekitchenbgone
15 years ago

I think I may be going crazy. I'm stressing that I made the wrong decision with my soapstone slabs. I made a trip to the area well-regarded soapstone shop last Thursday, just to see what stones they had to offer, not to pick out a slab. But I didn't take into consideration that they might be jammed packed with other folks wanting soapstone counters this summer, and they told me I better get on the stick. So I picked a stone. Santa Rita Venata, the variety I'd convinced myself I didn't want, despite falling in love with it on my first trip last October. I had decided it was just too busy and too prone to dings/chips. Plus, the 4x4 sample I got was just weird--angular veins that had an eighties feel and a light mottled background I just didn't care for. The shop I'm going with gave me a gigantic sample of light venata with an even charcoal background and snowflake speckles. I decided I wanted this stone, hopefully with more veining than the slab I saw back in October. Flash forward to now, when they only have a couple slabs of leftover Light Venata, with brown veining that I just didn't like. So it was down to Black Venata and Santa Rita Venata. Safe or daring? I had five minutes to decide. I chose the Santa Rita Venata.

I like veins and some small inclusions, but I'm worried about the "milky way effect" areas? Will those darken, or stand out as cloudy blobs? And I also want to avoid the spiderweb effect. But I don't want my counters to look like honed absolute black. I want charcoal with snowflakes, and soft to medium marble-like veins.

Does anyone else with Santa Rita Venata regret their decision? Or with I come to love all the intricacies of the stone. And how bad are the dings. The folks at the shop said the one downfall to the stone was that the dings stayed white, instead of being able to sand and oil them to blend in. I'm prone to clumsiness and don't want a ridiculous amount of pock marks. A little patina I can handle.

Please critique my slab. And my indecisiveness.

My slab

{{!gwi}}

Comments (16)