SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kntryhuman

Things I would NOT change

kntryhuman
13 years ago

I posted a thread earlier about the few things I would change. Now, for the things I've learned from GW or that I just love about my house!

Thanks GW!!!!

Heater under kitchen sink cabinet - once I have it installed

Extra large, 36" copper sink

Antique buffet that I turned into our master vanity

5x5' tiled shower that I built myself

Layout of kitchen cabinets

Drawers instead of cabinet doors

Toe kick drawers

F&P dishdrawer

Pull out shelves

Double spice racks, one on each side of range

Super large walk in closet

Oogee edge on granite - only added about $200 to cost

Waterlox for the hardwood floors, doors and Cypress kitchen cabinets

Sticking to my guns on things I wanted like:

-My antique wooden windows across the front even though they're "like having 6x6' holes in your house"

-Every single color in the house

-The Travertine backsplash that I grouted around the holes even though I was told to grout them in

-The copper inset tiles in the backsplash

-Knocking down several walls to open up the space (this is a 100+ year old house that someone gave us and we had moved to our property)

-My huge 4' Electrolux dual fuel range

-Adding 12' across the back of the house when 3 contractors said it couldn't be done without changing the original look of the house

-Putting hardwood floors in the kitchen and master bath

I could go on but you get the idea. Don't let others talk you into something you don't want. You'll be sorry later.

The inspiration for this post:

I've done 95% of the work on this house myself over the last 2 years, every weekend, every holiday, every vacation day, every sick day for 2 years. Tonight for the first time, I sat in my new den chair with my feet propped up on the ottoman and looked out of my antique wood windows at the railing on the porch, the Bougainvillea hanging from the porch ceiling, the trees and sunset in the background and smiled! I'm happy in my new antique little home.

We moved in 2 months ago and I still can't help looking around and thinking about that HD commercial "I did that. Yep, I did that". LOL It was a long time coming, and a lot of fun, and SO worth all the headaches. (Go ahead, say I told ya so)

Comments (3)