SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklekitty_gw

Bad Stone Counter Seam - What to do?

sparklekitty
13 years ago

We had Pietra del Cardoso counters put in this week and they are beautiful except for the seam. Only one seam and in my opinion poor. One edge was clean, but the other edge had a bunch of small chips up to 1/8th of an inch that I didn't notice before they did the install. After they put it in I pointed it out and the installer said he would "fix it." I had to leave the house before he finished and when I returned I saw no difference - you could visually see and feel the chips when I ran my finger along the seam.

They came back today to fix it and did a nice job with the epoxy, you cannot feel the seem when you run your finger along it, but is you can still see the rough edge though not as much. Far from the nearly seamless look I expected and see on the edge of the counter, just not the surface.

The only good part of this story is that I have not paid the balance (1/2 of the price.) Is the only option to request that they replace it and have to make the effort to relay out new slabs? Those in the profession -- if this happens on your install what is the right course of action to take for the client? This is a reputable company.

If we kept the counters, how long would I expect this type of epoxy fix to hold? Should they be willing to extend the warranty to be responsible for the seam for additional years into the future - 10 years or more?

I know Pietra is more brittle than granite, is this what to expect from this stone? Or should I assume that they either didn't handle it properly or had some issue in fabrication that wasn't noticed by their alleged quality control.

I will post a photo tomorrow.

Comments (21)