SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buildinghunt

Island Overhang and building code/contract HELP!!!

buildinghunt
12 years ago

I'm in the finishing stages of building a home. My contract states that my island in my kitchen is to be "4X6 island". My contract does not specify an overhang, but the builder agreed to put it in for stools on one side.

The contractor installed a island that is 6 feet long but has 24" deep cabinets with an 8" overhang for stools (granite top is 14" short of the contracted width). We verbally discussed a 12" overhang (with the 12" being part of the 4 foot width).

I told the contractor he is short and needs to fix the entire island, including adding more cabinets to support the full contracted width. He stated that the contract is only in relation to the granite top, and not the cabinets, and he has proposed meeting the contract with just the granite top by using corbels to support a 21" overhang. I'm worried the granite will crack to the island will topple over if someone heavy leans on it.

I told the contractor the "island" to both the cabinets and the granite top and a 21" overhang is no where near standard. He disagrees. I know he obviously doesn't want to replace the cabinets.

Any help on this or am I screwed. The contract states "4X6" foot island" Please help ASAP!

Comments (7)