SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfire

Carpenter/Contractor didn't know building code?!

cfire
13 years ago

Earlier this week I posted to get input on the chimney vent installation problems we're having. I think it just got worse.

Yesterday while the contractor and carpenters were on site for the carpenter's final day fixing and tweaking, the contractor offhandedly mentioned that it turns out the carpenters did not vent our range hood outside to code.

As he explained it, when the carpenters installed the chimney, they ran the duct through the attic, put a screen over the end and placed it next to an existing vent to the outside which is on the side of the house.

He said that's they way they've ALWAYS done it. With no problem or question from inspectors. EVER. However, they JUST found out that the building code requires that the duct go THROUGH the wall, so they were going to correct it. They wanted to do it right away and weren't too pleased that I wanted them to wait till I called my husband (who is out of the country) to let him know and also to confirm that he preferred it be vented to the wall rather than through the roof.

I should probably mention that back when the chimney was first installed, I asked if it was vented properly to the outside. At the time, I felt sheepish for questioning their work, so I explained the reason for my question was that I hadn't seen anyone on a ladder outside nor on the roof. I asked the carpenters once, and the contractor twice. Each time I was told that it was done correctly.

I should probably also mention that the contractor brought this venting code violation to my attention after the carpenters said I should find someone else to install the one-piece custom chimney we decided to have made.

Is it plausible that they didn't know the building code? I dunno... perhaps code changes frequently and it's difficult to keep up? I know I may be grasping at straws here, but if their claim isn't valid it means they're either just plain stupid, or worse... dishonest. Neither is good.

What do you think and what would you do?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Earlier Post

Comments (19)