SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kdlarue

apron front sink installation woes!

kdlarue
13 years ago

I have a question regarding retrofitting an apron front sink to existing cabinets. The topic has been covered but I do not think with regards to this particular detail. We have 1987 Wood mode cabinets and have just put Mumbai Gray soapstone on top of them. We also added an amazing Shaw's apron front sink which I am madly in love with along with the new countertops so, where is the problem? Well, apparently on the right side of sink the cabinets have settled over the years and are about +/- 1/4 inch lower than the left side of the sink. Sooooooooo, after the soapstone was installed, one side of the level sink had a bigger gap between the countertop and sink than the other side.

Couple questions: What is the best fix? We tried to put a shim on the lower side to raise it, but then the sink looks a little off in the front. The sink is the main focal point of the kitchen so this is not cool! Is the countertop supposed to be resting on the sink or is there supposed to be a little space (2/16 or 3/16th?) that would be filled in with caulk? Thankfully I have a very patient carpenter who is willing to help with the sink fix. We already had to tamper with his original beautiful custom cutout to try and correct the gap.

Any advice would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance, kdlarue

Comments (5)