SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eldemila

Close Up Pass Thru - Do or Don't? Need Ideas & Input - PICS!

eldemila
14 years ago

I'm taking one more look at this (bank owned) house before deciding to place an offer. DH is trusting my judgement and has only seen this house in pics I took the first time I saw it. It needs a LOT of work, one room being the kitchen.

There is, what I guess one would call a pass-thru(?) with the other side of this being the area we would have to put a kitchen/dining table at(where the 2 ladies are standing).

The kitchen needs major updating(dig that wallpaper and light fixture!). I really don't like the pass-thru or the look of those end pieces/columns. My mother says to leave it as is because it's just easier to serve the food on the other side than having to go around. There's not enough room to have it be an eat-in kitchen, so we need that area for eating as there is no other dining area.

The floors seem to be newer and I can live with the cabinets. I don't like that kind of drop in stove and if I have to keep that I have to keep that style of stove - ick! Counters would need to be replaced as well and really do like a backsplash.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with this pass-thru area? Keep it, or close it up by building a wall behind it? Anyone have any pictures if they've done this?

I'm not sure if I should put in an offer, with all that needs to be done, I'm getting a bit scared. As far as the kitchen goes, I really would love more cabinets, but unless I go with all new, I think it would be hard to match. Needs all new appliances, lighting, walls done, etc.

If anyone has any suggestions (other than best to not make an offer) I'd love to hear/see them. Whether it be on the closing up the pass-through or ideas for a layout, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all replies!

{{gwi:1909115}}

{{gwi:1909116}}

{{gwi:1909117}}

{{gwi:1909118}}

{{gwi:1909119}}

{{gwi:1909120}}

{{gwi:1909121}}

There's one area of the kitchen I didn't get to take a picture of - previous owners just put a counter along the wall which is on the other side of this pass through which would definitely need to be taken out and possibly put cabinets, at least base cabinets. You can see part of it in the first pic and the the very end of this counter in the pic with the two ladies (just right of my Mom's rear end)

The pic of the closet I guess will be a pantry. The yellow room in the background is the "laundry room."

Comments (10)