SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caligirl555

Bungalow layout help

caligirl5
9 years ago

Hello, looking for some advice on my kitchen layout. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post! I live alone in my 1915 craftsman bungalow. I cook basic meals most nights and occasionally entertain small groups of friends and family.

Main issues are: I need to replace the Jenn-Air range and dislike the downdraft hood. With the current layout I either have to buy a new Jenn-Air with downdraft hood or install an island range hood. I wish I had more storage and counter space. The cabinets are in rough shape: none of the drawers work properly, the base cabinet space is super cramped between the sink and the refrigerator, and the cabinets left of the range are blocked by the refrigerator (reason why the door is missing on that cabinet). The counter space is very chopped up, I'd like to have a longer run of work space.

I like the breakfast nook and that it's a typical feature of homes from the era, but I'm not sure it's a good use of space given that I have a large dining room. I do need a few seats in the kitchen for when people visit.

The laundry porch has a roof, but the walls are exterior siding and the back door and windows don't have glass, just screens. I'd like to completely enclose and finish off this room.

I'm open to structural changes, though I'd like to preserve the original trim and plaster walls where feasible. There's an exhaust flue from the water heater and furnace running through the kitchen from the basement, but I don't think it would be cost-prohibitive to move. The upper cabinets next to the refrigerator appear to be part of an original built-in hutch, which ideally I'd like to keep and replace the doors with something more period-appropriate.

I'm not quite sure what to do to improve the layout. My first idea is to take down the walls between the breakfast nook, laundry porch, and kitchen and finishing the porch. Then I can put the refrigerator between the W/D and D/W and add some upper cabinets on that wall. Put the range where the refrigerator is now. Maybe replace peninsula with a small island?

Do you guys have any advice to make better use of the space? I hope my floor plan is legible-I was not blessed with skills in either sketching or handwriting! Thanks for your help!

This post was edited by caligirl5 on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 9:21

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor