SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slush1422

Kitchen Progress - slow but happening...pics

slush1422
12 years ago

Just a few pictures to share our kitchen progress.

I have to say, IKEA cabinets - are a PITA!!! But they are what we could afford and I do like the look of the Adel White (actually off white) doors. And I have to say that IKEA has been amazing as far as letting us return/exchange either damaged just items we didn't need. 1/2 way through the first day of cabinet install, we realized that our range hood would be pretty squished and we wanted to give it more space. I had already assembled the upper and lower cabinet and drawers, and IKEA still took them back for full cost even though I would think they would have to sell them "As Is" and lose money.

Because a lot of it is DIY it feels like it's taking forever. I never thought remodeling a kitchen would be this stressful - nope, I didn't believe everyone when they said "Don't pack your booze". But now I DO and you bet we have a case of wine and some vodka on hand at all times.

Hopefully the cabinets will be all installed by Saturday and then we can have the granite guy come next week. After that it's time for DH to install the appliances and we can finally have a functioning kitchen. Since we are pretty much OUT OF MONEY we will probably not have Crown, Baseboards, under cab lighting, and a bunch of other stuff for a while but I know I'll be so happy to just have a sink again.

I'm babbling now...on to the pics:

Our new flooring - dusty but beautiful

From Kitchen Progress

Our new (bigger) window:

From Kitchen Progress

Paint samples - we ended up choosing BM Revere Pewter, the one on the far left:

From Kitchen Progress

DH putting the cabinets together last weekend. They are "easy" to assemble once you do one but it's the installing and making sure everything is level, that's a pain.

From Kitchen Progress

My little helper - heck yes my kids have to do manual labor!

From Kitchen Progress

So it takes FOUR guys to work on one corner cabinet??

From Kitchen Progress

What's worse - is they realized the next morning that the cabinets had to move up 2 inches because they forgot about the light rail that goes on the bottom of the cabinets. Basically over a 1/2 day of work - for nothing. Ahh the joys of DIY. We ended up doing a "blind" cabinet up top because we are not fans of the "angled" cabinet that is IKEA's only open for corners.

From Kitchen Progress

I had a meltdown in front of the guys and one of them tried to cheer me up. I better leave that smile up few a few more weeks. I can't take much more....

Then again...if my biggest complaint is about the issues of getting a new kitchen - maybe I need to be grateful and just shut up :)

From Kitchen Progress

Comments (11)