SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clickclick_gw

range dilemma

clickclick
14 years ago

I posted in the appliance forum, but they don't have quite the number of supporters, so I came over here to ask you. We had a pretty minor remodel - probably because I didn't discover this forum until after everything was set in stone. But maybe that's a good thing. :) At this point, I'm looking for a freestanding range, but I've heard some rumors/tales that maybe you can help me with.

First, I know someone with a 10 year old smoothtop, and she hates it because it runs too hot. She can't do any simmering - things are either boiling or off the burner. There is no in between. So, do I need to look for a separate simmering unit? I've seen just a couple, but it's not a common feature. Or do the current models have more sensitive controls?

Another thing that bothers me is I heard the broiler element comes on during the bake cycle to help regulate the temperature. I know it is used during the preheat, but doesn't the use during baking brown/burn the food? I found one model (Whirlpool Gold) that lets you turn off the broil element during the bake cycle.

And I was also advised to make sure the ceramic top is a Schott Ceran. What do you think?

If you have any other hints, I'd love to hear them.

This range decision is almost as bad as my backsplash decision!

Thanks!

Comments (5)