SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

From excited anticipation to sheer panic....help

autumn.4
11 years ago

Hello all. I am sort of new. I lurked here last year while doing a simple update to my current kitchen and learned a lot (so thank you so much for that - love my sink, my faucet, my countertop, backsplash and for that I am so grateful to this forum) and I am now addicted to all things kitchen.

So my current issue - we are looking at moving and building within the next couple of years. After doing more reading and knowing one of the main issues with this house is that our kitchen is too cramped or not laid out well for best function. I don't want to leave it until last and then just 'make it work'. I feel like I've got a great opportunity here. Current kitchen is 10 x 10 1/2 - weird weird layout. The main thorough fair has a 35" aisle between stove and counter and 29 1/2" between fridge and counter...both on the same wall and right by the entrance - ugh.

I read the new to kitchens and thought GREAT - I can do those things. I inventoried my current kitchen and started thinking about my current space and my likes/dislikes. Work zones and the triangle make sense to me. Still feeling like I was making good headway and thinking about things differently when I move about my kitchen. Excited at the prospect of being able to design a new kitchen that will work for our family - bliss.........

Then I saw an old post where I think it was buehl (sorry if not) that used Powerpoint to sketch a kitchen - better yet - I know how to use that and I already have the software. So I sat down thinking I'd just mock one up to scale quick a minute (haha) - TORTURE! Cold sweat, panic! I 'drew' up walls, a fridge, stove, dishwasher, etc and had NO IDEA where to put them - none. I finally had to just walk away. I have time but I have no idea how I'm supposed to know what I want, what will flow for me, what will feel right? Wall oven or no, corner pantry (I HATE my corner cabinet and lazy susan with a passion) or cabinet pantry? How do you design a kitchen without trying it out sort of first (not reality of course)? Plus I want only a moderately open kitchen (do not like people watching me prep unless they are prepping with me or it's just a friend visiting - but not a whole party of people - I am messy with stuff out everywhere when I cook) - dh is thinking the more open the better - eek. No thanks!

This might be all rhetorical but:

I have lived in this kitchen for 14 years - I know no other space besides this kitchen and those apartment tight galley kitchens.

I know that my kitchen feels awkward to me but I can't put my finger on it.....thinking it's probably the aisles and zones but I do like the peninsula as I prep there facing the dining table and windows to the backyard.

The main question I have is how are you supposed to know what kind of kitchen would function best for you? Did anyone else feel this way?

I have plenty of time but where on earth do you start with all of that information? The 2 plans we are looking at show either a 12x12 kitchen or a 12 x 15. It seems like that is so much bigger than what I have. I want an efficient kitchen roomy by not large just for the sake of being large. I don't want to be totally out in the open but not in a cave either. I am thinking some sort of L shape? I'd like to have an idea of what I want to sort of help guide me when looking at plans or making changes to plans to accommodate what we need in terms of the kitchen (within reason-the house will likely be 1800-2000 sq ft/3 bed 2 1/2 bath). I don't want to leave it to last and it would be great to have a 'vision' so I can explain it to dh with some certainty when the time comes.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance if you made it this far (I feel a little bit better just typing that out)!

Comments (11)