SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

Why bright/airy, instead of warm/cozy?

debrak2008
9 years ago

So many seem to want a bright, airy, and open kitchen. They remove upper cabinets. Have white cabinets and counters, etc. Some describe wood cabinets as dark and dreary.

I wonder why the focus on bright, light, and airy instead of warm and cozy? Sometimes it's said the men typically lean toward the warm and cozy, as in dark wood cabinets, medium to dark floors and walls.

I'm female and while I love a great outdoor view and our kitchen was designed with it in mind, I would never say my dream kitchen was bright and airy. I wanted a kitchen that was more rich, warm, welcoming, and sexy. I love walking outside, have a great backyard, so I easily get my outdoor fix.

My questions are.... do you think this is a male/female thing? and if so why?

Or is this a product of something else?, such as the fact that many women now spend their days in cubicles? less time outdoors?

Something else? Is this different than years ago?

Do you think on average more people would describe their dream kitchen and bright/airy or rich/warm? Is GW different than the rest of the population?

Welcoming your thoughts!

edited to add: Not meant to disparage in anyway the light and airy kitchen and those that love them. Just thinking of why you may be drawn to one or the other.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 20:27

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022