SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

40 inch sink? one-inch hex tile floor? please weigh in...

sayde
14 years ago

Hi there, have been away for a while but still planning, planning. Soon - - -

Would love some input on two possible choices:

(1) Rohl's 4019 Shaw fireclay apron sink has one big and one smaller basin -- meets DH desire for two basins, and my need to have one large enough for pans and grates. But it is so big! Nearly 40 inches. And this is not a big room. It would be centered under an 84 inch wide window. Anyone have or have seen anything like this? Thoughts?

(2) An historic looking floor made up of one inch white hex tiles with blacks interspersed at large intervals, and a border of charcoal and black. I saw this in the latest Meredith Dream Kitchens on p 96 --a wood kithchen with a Shaker/Craftsman vibe -- i.e what I need to do in my old house --and when I saw it it just seemed "right" -- juxtaposition of the light floor with the dark wood and white subway blacksplash -- a way to get the light whiteness into the kitchen though using the stained wood cabs. Anyone see this? Makes me nervous -- the thought of basically putting a bathroom floor in a kitchen, but in fact those little hex tiles are already here in the original 1927 kitchen floor under the tile put in in 1978! I would just be "restoring" what is here with a new version. Would love some input on this. You can also see a kitchen with these tiles in the Cottage Kitchen magazine from last summer. Or the American Restoration tile website. . . .

Comments (5)