SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

Our tile problem (pics) -- please weigh in!

harriethomeowner
15 years ago

I've posted here in the past week or so about what to do about fixing a hole in the tile in our bathroom. We have decided to keep our 1950 vintage gray and burgundy tile, but there is a big hole behind the vanity where we had a plumbing repair earlier this year.

Here is a picture (sink has been removed):

Here's a closeup of the hole (we have had plastic taped over it, which I peeled back a bit here so I could look at it -- sorry, I can't get the picture to rotate for some reason):

We have found a gray that matches almost exactly, but the burgundy in a sanitary cove base is not being made anymore. I am having somebody check to see if any supplier may have a few pieces lying around (all we would need). However, I've found that even if we find tile that matches exactly in color, new tile is thicker than old tile and may not lie flush with the wall. The tile problem is holding up the whole (ha!) job; they need to order the materials early this week to keep it on schedule for getting done before the end of the year.

One thought I had was to not bother trying to fix the tile and to just make a panel out of plywood or something along those lines with some wood attached to the back to fit it into the hole. Then I could paint it to match the wall.

If we do this, do you think it would look bad to have the furniture-style vanity that we had planned on or to get a vanity that goes all the way to the floor? Most of this area is going to be covered up by the vanity and sink.

Help! Need to decide by tomorrow!

Comments (11)