SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yttocs3

Calling all island sink (main) users!

yttocs3
12 years ago

Hello,

Despite going back and fourth, I think we are going to stick with our original plan of having our main, and only, sink in our island. We understand the potential cons of this set-up, but feel it will work best for us for now. One thing that helped convince us was some older posts on this forum about island sinks where users had said they loved theirs.

So, with that being said, I'm looking for some opinions on sink placement.

Here is an image to give you an idea of layout. Nothing is built yet though so things can be shifted around.

We are thinking about going with this Ticor sink: http://ticorsinks.com/php/details.php?model=S997

The island is currently drawn as approx. 6.5' x 3.5'. The dimensions can change slightly, but it probably can't get too much bigger due to the room size. The plan is to have an overhang on the one side for a few seats.

One thing I was thinking today is that we could centre the faucet location on the island, which would shift the sink itself to the left. I'm thinking this may allow the dishwasher to fit in the island while still maintaining a centred appearance.

We are not opposed to placing the DW on the wall on the dining room side either, which would then allow the sink to be placed anywhere on the island. The plan is to have the dishes in one of the cabinets near the dining room and dishwasher. Thinking of making that last upper cabinet extend to the countertop so that plates can be put in there, eliminating some lifting.

Does anyone think it might make sense to have the sink pushed either to the right or left side of the island. The pro is that it opens up a larger single work area, but there are obviously cons to either side you move it.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. Definitely interested in hearing comments from people that have used or are using an island sink, but open to comments from all.

Comments (15)