SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khoene

Suggestions for Kitchen Layout in our new home

khoene
9 years ago

Hello,
We've been reading GW for about a year or two while we work on our house plans. We've received some great ideas in the Building a Home forum and incorporated them into our design. Here's some info to help:
We have 3 children - two girls (6 and almost 5) and one boy (almost 2). My wife wants an open feel to the kitchen, a long and narrow pantry, and a dining area adjacent to the kitchen (no formal dining room). She cooks quite a bit and plans on getting a high-end counter depth refrigerator and double range with a hood above the range. Other than grilling, my wife does almost all of the cooking but we all help to clean up. We foresee the kids doing homework in the kitchen area (maybe at island). We like to informally entertain with family and friends. We anticipate family/friends hanging out in the kitchen area and on the covered patio in warmer months (we live in Illinois). At different times, we would probably eat at the island, the dining area table, and on the covered patio. We want a lot of windows in the back of the house to take advantage of a nice view. My wife uses the Keurig every morning and we plan on putting appliances like that on the counter in the pantry. We're unsure on a sink in the island and are also considering a warming drawer. We have two entries from the garage - one through the mudroom for our family and another that enters into the kitchen for family and friends. I've included the plans for the entire first floor and a zoomed in view of the kitchen/dining/pantry/mudroom area.

Please offer any ideas/suggestions/feedback! We're definitely not set on these plans we have drawn and are willing to make changes. Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)