SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_k_gw

Getting back in the process -- need kitchen help

shelly_k
14 years ago

Hi everyone! Some of you may remember me -- I lurk often and post not very often! We were planning on building last summer and then put things on hold when costs got out of hand. Now we are in the process of going back to the architect and hopefully reducing some costs by cutting out some of our corners and other things. We have (maybe unfortunately) had a year to comb over our floor plan. :)

Anyway, after scouring my kitchen plan, I'm liking it less and less. :( I feel like our architect just gave us the bare minimum in kitchen requirements and not much more. And instead of catching this in the beginning, I just let it go on and now since the kitchen is in the center of the house, it seems difficult to change.

What I don't like:

* I would have liked a 48 inch depth on the island and closer to 10 feet length. It is now 42 inches wide and 9 feet in length.

*I would like seating on two sides of the island instead of all in a row on one side. I was hoping for 5 seats -- two seats on the end by the bkfast table side and 3 seats on the long side. I like the kind of grand piano shaped island if that makes sense at all.

*I was hoping for more space between the island and the frig wall. Currently there is 42 inches between the island and cabinet and less between the island and frig unless I get counter depth. I was hoping for at least 4 feet here since this is walkway to the pantry and I like extra space there, especially since it's the frig wall.

*The walkway space on the bkfast area side seems minimal as well at 4'3". Do you think? Especially if I want to make the island a bit longer?

I like:

*the distance between the cooktop wall and the island. I like 4'0.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could get a little bigger, different shaped island and more walkway space around it, without cramping into the space for the great room and bkfast area? I already know I can move the carpet line for the great room back a foot to the 17'10" measurement so that would put 5'0 between the current island and the carpet line.

I know I am asking for big miracles here! But I just love what all you kitchen experts put together and I am always amazed how you do it! :)

Main Floor:

Closer up of Kitchen:

Comments (4)