SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sw_in_austin

Sink reveal / edge profile questions -- Please Help Me

sw_in_austin
15 years ago

I posted this earlier with a different Subject that may have been misleading. I'm hoping this will get more response. Thanks in advance.

We are finalizing the details of our soapstone fabrication and I am running into some opposition from our contractor and fabricator regarding edge detail and the sink installation. We are installing a large single bowl Ticor stainless steel sink into 3cm soapstone.

Both the GC and the fabricator say that a negative reveal on the sink -- that is, the edge of the stone extending slightly beyond the edge of the sink -- is "standard." I said I wanted either a very slightly positive reveal -- like 1/8" -- or a neutral reveal. They acted like this was so strange that they could hardly believe it.

Both said the positive or neutral reveal would leave the silicone seal exposed and that I "wouldn't like it" and would be back to complain. The GC also said the fabricator could only do 90-degree corners in the sink cutout, so if the sink had rounded corners the cutout would look odd.

The GC says he thinks we should go with what the fabricator calls a "flat polish" edge: virtually square on top and bottom with just the barest edge smoothed over. I wanted to go with the "waterfall" edge, which is a 3/8-inch radius on the top and square on the bottom. I am concerned about chipping and assume the more rounded edge would be more stable.

Any thoughts? Any one out there who's had good experiences with a positive or neutral reveal? Closeup pics, maybe?

Thanks so much. We're getting toward the end of the decisions and I'll be glad to have this one made.

Comments (34)