SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

thinking about tackling the kitchen...fill that hole!

Fori
11 years ago

(I know I asked about this mess last year, but can't find my previous posts. And I'm thinking of doing something different now that I've been here a while...)

This is my house, before we moved in and obscured everything with stuff.

Long ago it had a living room with jumbo fireplace, a family room with another fireplace, and a kitchen with a little dining nook. Someone removed the wall between living and family rooms and installed a peninsula that fed into the kitchen whose walls were removed as much as possible. (No. Not done with permits. But as Realtor said, it hasn't fallen down yet!) The refrigerator lives in the dining nook.

I thought about restoring the walls. I thought about adding on a kitchen out the back and turning the kitchen into a something else, and now I'm thinking of leaving it open, removing the peninsula where it sticks out into the living/family rooms, removing the living room fireplace (it is partially trashed and takes up a great deal of space). I just don't know quite how to deal with the hole between kitchen and bigroom.

View from family room: red walled fireplace would go away. Hoping I could run duct for range hood through the orphaned chimney which is front and center on the roof. Peninsula would go. Let's not even mention the pendants.

View from dining nook into living room and kitchen. Need to lose the nub of counter sticking out (a relic from refacing original 50s cabinets) and find a place for the fridge. Otherwise it works okay.

View into the nook from the kitchen. Fridge goes in that corner by the patio furniture. You can almost see the other fireplace in the family room.

So I'm thinking of embracing the open floorplan, making it even opener than it is now. Join the living and family rooms without the miserable wing of a peninsula (that does hold a ton of adult beverages) and have some sort of kind of open passthroughish kind of thing from the kitchen.

Maybe a proper door from kitchen to bigroom, maybe even properly framed with a pocket door since that's a recurring theme. And a closeable passthrough from kitchen to bigroom, about where the stove currently is. The house was built in the 1950s and I don't mind using completely out-of-date features like this. I'm thinking short high cabinets that wrap around/hide the header and some sort of wall to hide the kitchen counter. I do like the ability to close off my kitchen.

I'm not concerned about actual kitchen layout at this point--it's a good size and I'm confident I can fit enough kitchen in a given space.

Or, what would you do?

Comments (2)