SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kudzu9

What do you think of this ripening idea?

kudzu9
14 years ago

I live in the Greater Seattle area and we have had a relatively warm summer (at least for this part of the country), with daytime temps in the 70's and low 80's, and it has been fairly sunny. However, we had a cold spring and my tomato starts did not go into the ground until almost mid-June. I've planted about 30 different varieties of heirloom tomatoes and they all look healthy and are bearing a lot of fruit. However, only a few have started to ripen. I'm worried that, if we get a cool September, I'll have a lot of green tomatoes on my hands. I was thinking about draping each plant with a "dome" of plastic film to create a greenhouse effect (leaving the bottom few inches above the ground open). I tried this today with one of them and checked on it after a couple of hours. The film had a lot of condensed moisture on it and it was of course pretty warm inside. I tore a several inch hole in the top of the plastic, and a lot of steamy air came out, but the plant looked fine.

I know that I can't just put a plastic tent on with no vent hole or I'll cook my plants. However, I was wondering about the idea of covering each plant like I did in this experiment and putting a small hole at the top as a vent. Will this help speed ripening? If it will, is it too risky in terms of possibly giving the plants "heat stroke"?

Comments (5)