SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scoutfinch72

Need help with countertop choice and finishes

scoutfinch72
14 years ago

We're just doing a bit of a facelift to our existing kitchen and dh told me today that he thinks that new countertops are in the budget! I do NOT want to put granite on top of my 25 year old cabs that I may decide to rip out in 5 years on a whim, so I think we're looking at doing a nice laminate, but I need some help with a color choice.

Here is the kitchen when we bought the house 6 months ago:

{{!gwi}}

And here is where we are now:

What color countertops would work well here? I had originally painted the walls Valspar Filoli Honey, which is similar to RH Butter, but it seems to warm with the cabs and too light with the counters. I have 2 cans of BM Prescott Green waiting to go up as soon as the windows get their drywall repaired from the paneling we removed (it was under the wallpaper). I'm planning to do a simple backsplash with stone tiles laid horizontally in a running bond pattern something like this in this post:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0618071831253.html

I am planning to run the countertop on the peninsula so that it is all the same height rather than with the lower section the way it is now. Do you think that's a wise choice?

Also, now that the appliances are replaced, I am not sure I am in love with the light fixtures I chose. I just don't know if they work with the SS. We were originally supposed to have 4" recessed cans in here, but found there is no attic above and there wasn't enough room. I thought I'd be happy with these fixtures, but now I am thinking that I should have gotten smaller recessed fixtures instead of the semi-flush and that the pendants should have been brushed nickel. Am I nuts? This will affect the hardware choice for the cabs as well.

Lastly, on the bottom right hand corner of the second pic, you can see the tile baseboards. We had to remove them in the rest of the kitchen to get the paneling out from behind them and we haven't put anything back up. Should we put the tile back up or do wood baseboards instead?

Comments (7)