SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenmaness_gw

Help with Hidden Storage Space Behind Raised Bar?

13 years ago

We are mid-stream in our kitchen remodel. The countertops were torn out last Thursday and now I have a view of my cabinetry that I've never had before. They have built a support wall for our new granite raised bar which is supposed to be installed on Wednesday. As I was looking things over this weekend, I noticed that there is a fair sized gap between our existing cabinet on one end and the support wall. I'm always on the lookout to increase my storage space (no real pantry in my kitchen), so I really hate to close this wonderful empty space in, never to be seen again. I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "nook" or a "cranny" but I'm all about gaining access to it for storage. By my measurements, we can slide a shelving unit approx 13.5" wide, 10.5" deep, and 30" tall into the open space indicated in the picture below. In fact, I got so pumped up about this that I sketched it up, took it to a local wood shop, and they just called to say it's built (in about 2 hours!)

My only question is how to do the door to this new storage cubby. The back of the raised bar will be trimmed out in beadboard. I want this storage cubby to be very unobtrusive and as unnoticeable as possible. I also want to minimize interference with someone sitting on a barstool at that end of the bar. Therefore, I really don't want a true door like I would have in a regular cabinet section. One idea would be to simply cut a doorway out of the beadboard, put it on hinges, and let the beadboard door be flush with the rest of the beadboard. I'm having a hard time visualizing the final product, though, and whether I'd really be happy with it. I don't want it to look cheesy or cheap. Does anyone have any insights?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH