SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcg_gw

When does a prep sink become essential?

kmcg
12 years ago

Hi all - I know this topic's been addressed before, but I'd really like to know opinions on whether a prep sink makes sense in a relatively small kitchen (16x12-ish, with a chunk out of one corner of the rectangle). Here's the context for the question: I've been planning a small reconfiguration of my kitchen to cure a problem that's been bothering me since we moved in. The sink, dishwasher and main prep counter are in a little alcove on one end of the kitchen. The range and oven plus a 30" prep counter are on the wall opposite - with about 13' of space from sink to range. This distance seems weird to me, plus there's a major bottleneck in the sink/DW zone because entry is through a 32" opening. So, my plan is to create a peninsula in the open area in the middle of the kitchen, to gain counter space and probably to relocate the sink/DW there.

I could create this prep zone by (1) removing one of the walls to the alcove, and running continuous counters from the alcove out to the peninsula. Or (2) I could turn the alcove into a separate pantry area, building the peninsula in the middle space, with sink and DW.

Seemed like I just needed to make one of those choices, so that's doable. But then after reading a ton of posts here about prep sinks, I got to thinking that maybe I should keep the sink/DW zone in the alcove, and add a prep sink to the new peninsula. My husband thinks one sink is plenty, and I do worry about sacrificing storage by putting in yet another sink cabinet, but this idea is intriguing.

BTW, the open space in the middle of the kitchen would allow for a peninsula size of about 54x39, with an overhang for seating. And water by the range is not an issue, as there's a potfiller already. So my real interest is in creating a better-located prep zone, nearer the range and fridge. But maybe a prep zone with a separate cleaning zone - tucked away out of the work triangle - makes more sense.

The sink I lust after is the Kohler Stages, but I found the Ticor TR4100 and wonder if anyone has used it. It's slightly smaller and less fancy, but is cheaper and takes less space. Might be a good prep sink? You can see it at the link.

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts!

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Stages look-alike

Comments (18)