SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
supra92

Soapstoners -- help please re: wood base support

15 years ago

For those of you who have had soapstone counters installed...

My 1904 Southern Colonial is having the soapstone countertops installed as we speak, and I've just learned (much to my surprise and chagrin) that the installer has no intention of putting wood supports underneath the soapstone itself.

I've been under the impression that it's par for the course, ESPECIALLY with a stone like soapstone, to put a 1/2" or so wood board directly underneath the soapstone for added support and structural integrity -- these guys just want to slap the soapstone down on top of the actual cabinets themselves (with the only supports being the vertical walls of the cabinets, like 1/2" wide.

The widest area between two 1/2" vertical pieces of cabinet is about 25" --- so 25" of unsupported soapstone, if you will.

The soapstone is 3cm thick --- do I have reason to be concerned? Is this standard practice to put 3cm soapstone slabs directly down on the cabinets with all that air underneath and lack of support? Or is the stone thick enough to handle the 25" width of air between the cabinet walls?

The install is starting as I write this, so please, any timely feedback you can provide to either reassure me or to warn me and have them halt the install is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks as always,

Supra92

Comments (8)