SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

Built-in coffee maker (Lance Larkin Brew Express) good idea?

angie_diy
12 years ago

Hi,

The renovation is underway, even though the plans have not been finalized yet. (Grrr.) I've been considering a built-in coffee maker for the purpose of saving counter space. I am wondering about GW thoughts on these from a *design* perspective (which is why I am posting here, not appliances).

In trying to do my due diligence, I searched many old threads. They mostly occurred on the appliances forum, and generally devolved into truly nasty exchanges regarding the quality of the coffee, the price point (ironically, claims were that it was either too high or too low!), the (lack-of) wow-factor compared to a Miele, the longevity of the devices, etc. I am not interested in those issues (except for maybe longevity). I want to learn any thoughts about whether a built-in is "worth it" to save counter space.

Background: I am a soi-disant "coffee slut," (meaning any joe is okay by me), and have been using the same 4-cup Mr. Coffee countertop model for about 25 years. I am not interested in a high-end automatic espresso machine, just regular drip coffee. I have the stud walls open, so installing a built-in is no problem.

As I see it, I have three choices: countertop, under-cabinet, and built-in. I'd like to preserve countertop space, so am leaning towards the last two. Advantage of built-in is (1) no need to fill with water, (2) significantly less obtrusive. Disadvantages: (1) price (but not really a factor in decision), (2) cannot move it to another spot, (3) possibly an aesthetic "hole" in the middle of the (yet-unidentified) BS, (4) small possibility that it will break and company will not be around for new one, (5) larger possibility that will look dated, even to me, some years from now. I can mitigate #4 by buying and storing a second one -- I suspect that should do it for my lifetime!

Any thoughts? TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lance Larkin Brew Express built-in coffeemaker

Comments (17)