SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
curtiscove_gw

On the fence..tile or beadboard

curtiscove
12 years ago

I posted before thinking I would use beadboard for backsplash and up to my cabinets. Friends are less than enthusiastic about this. So I'm second guessing myself and will look at tile next week leaning towards a very simple white subway. I realize now with my Kashmir White granite, white appliances and cabinets that I really don't like my Windham Cream so am looking for ideas for another color. Since the kitchen is open to the dining and living rooms(painted Windham Cream), I need something that will coordinate. Also, how do I define the end of the kitchen and start of the dining area? Hubby is NO help!!

Comments (20)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Pics would help answer the transition question...
    As for the bs, I think if you like beadboard better, then that is what you should use. I found that if I ran some ideas past others, they often did not "get it" (and some said so) but once installed, would say they love how it turned out and admit to being skeptical. People who are not up on kitchen materials are often wary of what they are not familiar with.
    I would guess the bb to be less expensive and easier to install. If you decide you want tile later on, you can switch it up. Once you tile the bs, that is much more permanent.

• ptamom
    12 years ago

I, too, considered beadboard back splash, but went for tile because of the water resistance and "scrubability."
    If your kitchen isn't very high traffic, I think the beadboard lends a charming cottage feel. So does handmade subway tile. Either way is a win. I would go with a soft taupe on the walls. It would play up the lovely cool tones in your stone. Unless you plan to structurally divide the dining and living areas, with moldings or an archway, I would keep them the same color for continuity's sake.

• SusieQusie60
    12 years ago

I'm back on my ceramic beadboard kick. Still haven't made the final decision, but as of right now, I think ceramic beadboard it will be. The way I look at it, it's the best of both worlds. The look of beadboard and the durability of tile. We'll see how I'm feeling when we finally get to the tile store. SQ

• phoggie
    12 years ago

SusieQuise...I have not seen ceramic beadboard...do you have a pic you can post? Thanks

• pps7
    12 years ago

If you love the beadboard, you should do it. It will be alot cheaper too which will be a bonus. If you use a high quality semi gloss paint, cleaning it should not be an issue.

• never_ending
    12 years ago

Curtis, I am basically in the same boat as you. =)

First color~ Even though the rooms are open to each other, the color doesn't necessarily have to be the same...think of accent walls or color palettes and storyboards. Harmony can be achieved with the same depth colors with a accent color that bridges the two colors. Or you can contrast your colors for pop to echo an accent color.

I have family pieces in turquoise that I want to highlight in my kitchen. My dining room is seen from the kitchen so I want it to flow. I had the same thought process - one color for the two rooms. I had wanted to use a pale aqua but feel it would be too limiting and a bit much for the entire space. When looking at fabrics, it hit me that a pale aqua, a soft vintage green (the color the kitchen is now) and a rich cream look harmonious and terrific together, and turquoise looks great with them all. I will carry my fabric to be used in both rooms, and the paint is the same level of lightness to flow without being jarring to the eye. I hope this helps give you another option for picking paint colors because after awhile the whole process becomes mind boggling!

Second beadboard~ My dilemma too, and I'll echo Dianalo...does anyone have any idea- but us, how many hours you have invested in finding the "right" materials and look for your kitchen =D !!!! So far my kitchen is "too light, my wood counters are going to be trouble, and my hardware not matching is too busy and a bit strange!" I did begin to panic and second guess but slapped myself back to my own reality and am sticking to my plan- but honestly I can't decide beadboard or tile =/. I like them both.

Thankfully my contractor suggested beadboard because it can be taken down with less damage to the walls and replaced with tile later for a freshen up! Yay! For now...beadboard and fwiw it is still highly durable as others said!

Hope this makes sense, I still need another cup of coffee! =)

• curtiscove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all..would post pictures but can't find my cable. It's got to be around somewhere unless I left it while in CA. I guess I should have mentioned that we're on the ocean so the cottage look would go nicely. I did look at tile today and if I go that route it will only be as a replacement for the laminate backsplash with new paint for the walls. Never thought this would be so time consuming and difficult! I wish I could actually see a kitchen that's been done with beadboard. I usually make decisions very quickly...at least up to now!

• John Liu
    12 years ago

Beadboard is much less commonplace today, so that would lean me in its favor, assuming both were otherwise equally fitting. What percentage of backsplashes out there are tile - 90%?

I don't see where water resistance and scrubbability are a big deal, assuming you don't plan to slaughter animals in the kitchen and then hose down the walls.

• willtv
    12 years ago

We went with beadboard in the pantry area.

and subways in the kitchen

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

If the choice is between beadboard from counter to cabs or a tile mini-backsplash, I vote beadboard for sure. Not a fan of the short backsplashes. Plus, it sounds like you formed your vision around this, and it would be so cute to have a beach cottage kitchen! I'm planning to do beadboard in my kitchen painted with Ace Cabinet & Trim, the same as my cabinets. I was wavering a bit recently, but like others have said, it's much cheaper and easier to change out later than tile. I think I'll love it.

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    12 years ago

Why not grab a cheap sheet of beadboard from your local big box store and lean it in place? I personally love the look, but people who aren't as TKO as I am might have a hard time picturing it. And if you're really worried about it getting wet, put a marine grade finish on it. If it's good enough for a boat, it's good enough for a backsplash.

• curtiscove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually I did grab a piece and realized that I couldn't use white. I'm thinking of a compromise i.e., beadboard on the side of the cabinet open to the dining area and also under the overhang of the breakfast bar area (also open to the dining room). If I use tile where the laminate backsplash was, I can leave the paint alone. For some reason I couldn't decide on paint. However, I'm going to get a couple of estimates before the final decision...both from a carpenter and a tile person. Again, thanks and the pictures helped alot.

• kmmh
    12 years ago

Here is one link to beadboard tile, I know there are others...

Here is a link that might be useful: beadboard tile

• never_ending
    12 years ago

Beadboard can be painted any color it doesn't necessarily have to be white. Houzz has some nice examples of colored beadboard.

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Here are some pictures of colored beadboard:

• SusieQusie60
    12 years ago

Sorry I never got back to post a picture of the ceramic tile. The one that kmmh posted is one of the few picture I can ever find on the web. I don't remember the name of the brand I'm looking at. I haven't been to the tile store in weeks. Hopefully (fingers crossed) I might actually have a picture of my own kitchen with it installed in the not-too-distant future!

• never_ending
    12 years ago

Very pretty pics Jess!

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

It was fun finding them, n.e.! Almost makes me want to switch my white beadboard to a color...but I don't think it would work so well in my space.

• curtiscove
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jesicami I kept thinking about your comment about not being a fan of short backsplashes...so FINAL decision is: beaboard behind the sink, narrow beadboard on the end of the peninsula and behind it *where the stools are" and then just paint for the rest if it. Once all the "junk paste" came off from the original backsplash the windham cream looked fine Now off to another form for advice of stair carpeting! Thanks to all once again..

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH