SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Tipping your GC?

Bunny
9 years ago

This question seems to come up frequently and I'm not sure what to do. I've had a guest bath remodel , but the situation is fairly universal when work is done in our homes.

I am really happy with my GC and all the people he has working for him, plus the company he subs for his tilework. They have all been courteous, considerate, and easy to communicate with. They show up on time and call me if delayed. I can call anyone on my cell and email with my GC. So, I'm happy about everything.

My GC was the highest bid I received and if it was peace of mind and good customer service I was paying for (in addition to fine work), then it's been money well spent. I have made two referrals to friends and one is already in contract with this guy, as well as with my designer. They are both most appreciative of the referrals. I also know my GC's got plenty of jobs, mainly through referrals.

I don't know what these guys like, e.g., play golf, drink wine, dining out, etc. I'd like to keep this simple. I would be fine adding an extra amount to my final payment, but of course, it would be taxable for him. Do I say, give a portion of that to A, B and C and say it's from me? I don't think I'll be seeing B and C again at my house to give it to them directly.

How much is appropriate? What about the three tile guys who work for a larger firm?

I'm uncomfortable just throwing money out there.

Comments (34)