SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20096364

Buying marble (or stone) slabs based on pictures alone?

User
11 years ago

Has anyone here purchased marble (or any other stone) slabs for countertops, based on digital pictures alone, and not seen them in person first?

I am in the midst of talking to fabricators and trying to get a good price on marble countertops (most likely Carrara, honed).

All the fabricators in my area buy from the same stoneyards. I went to visit one stoneyard (the closest one, about an hour and a half away). The had only two slabs of carrarra, but they were polished.

There are two other huge stoneyards the fabricators buy from. I was told prices on marble tend to be lower from these stoneyards (presumably more competition in that area). But honestly I don't know if I feel like making a 6+ hour round-trip drive to go select countertops (maybe I could call myself TKO-lite :-) (I work full-time and have young kids) The stoneyards have really good digital images of their inventory online. I feel fairly confident that I can pick something based on good digital images (especially something like Carrara where there is less color variation and its more pattern variation (more vs less gray).

But was just wondering if anyone else has done this and if it turned out okay?

Comments (11)