SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
szmanthey

Kitchen Cabinet Questions

szmanthey
10 years ago

Hello GWers -

My husband and I are building our new home. We are the General Contractors (DH works in building/trades industry so we feel comfortable doing this.) I have been pricing out cabinets for the new home. I have a bid from a local custom cabinet maker and another bid from a local company that sells Medallion. My bid is for the Medallion Silverline series.

My kitchen cabinets will be shaker style white on the perimeter. The island will be a dark stain.

I am having difficulty making a decision. I love that I can see the finish of the Medallion cabinets now. They also come with a lot more add-ons/organizers (peg boards, pull-out spice rack, cutlery storage). Also the KD has been great to work with. These cabinets will be maple, soft-close drawers with full extension

The Custom Cabinet maker does a lot of work for a high end builder in town. He uses birch wood. I will have to get the painter to paint/stain the cabinets. The drawers are soft close but not full extension.

After adding in the paint/stain cost to the custom cabinets, they are about $2,000 less than the Medallion Cabinets.

Will the factory painted finish last longer than the custom painted?

Are the full extension drawers and the extra accessories worth it?

What other factors should I consider? 2K is a lot of money I could use elsewhere but I really liked the Medallion cabinets and working with the KD.

Please help me make this decision.

Thanks!

Comments (3)