SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chicgeek_gw

Need help w/cabinet decision: Kraftmaid or Custom

chicgeek
11 years ago

Hi Everyone. I've learned alot from mostly lurking on this site for the past year. The time has come for us to make some decisions to get our kitchen remodeled. I've received quotes from Kraftmaid (3 dealers), Candlelight and contractor/cabinet builder who will also being doing all the demo and installation in our home. We've worked with him on several projects in past 20 years and we know the kind of work he does. He actually built a bathroom vanity for us 3 years ago based on our design combining 2 vanities that we like.

Love the Candlelight but price is just too high, so we are deciding between Kraftmaid and contractor. My husband would like them custom built, and quite frankly I know they would be built to fit perfectly in our space.

Here's our dilemma: Kraftmaid is offering some awesome promotions. Just received an email that one dealer is offering 10% off, plus $2200 off on appliances with another local appliance dealer we've worked with. Kraftmaid price is literally the same as price to have custom cabinets built. Difference is Kraftmaid would be plywood construction and wood frame with veneer panel doors; custom by our contractor would be solid cherry. And we could really use $2200 toward appliances because we are replacing all of the current ones that we have.

Our interior designer who designed the space is cautioning us that the finish applied by a manufacturer stand up better than a finish applied by a local craftsman. She is speaking from experience of her own custom cherry cabinets lightening where sun hits them.

So-need some sage guidance from all of you. If you have Kraftmaid, are you happy with them? If you've had cabinets made by craftsman, how do you feel the finish is (esp. with cherry wood)? I hate to admit it but the $$ are adding up and every $ counts if we are going to be able to get all the finishes/appliances we'd like. Thanks for your help.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions