SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myboys1gw

Countertop flush with cabinet - no overhang

myboys1
10 years ago

I have a row of base Kitchen cabinets that is right next to a sliding patio door which has molding around it. I had planned to have the cabinets butt up against the door molding, but forgot about the overhang on the countertop. This an end row of cabinets that is open to a family room. There are no upper cabinets over them (a large window is above).
Would it look unfinished or unprofessional to have the quartz countertop be flush with the cabinet and there being no overhang at all? I can't find any pictures of this online or any articles talking about it. So perhaps it is never done or shouldn't be done.

I do not want to notch out the door trim for the countertop. I had this once before and did not like the look. The other choice is to have the cabinet stop 1/4" before the door trim allowing for that amount of countertop to butt up against the molding. But then that would leave a tiny little strip of wall between the end of the cabinet and the molding.

Not sure which is a better or more finished look. Is it "ok" to go without countertop overhang on an end cabinet? All opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (15)