We are testing the following on beech sections of the countertop:

1)Waterlox

Minwax

2)Colonial Maple

3)Cherry

4)Ipswich Pine

5)Natural

6)Pecan Gloss (polyshades)

7)Whitewash Pickling (this one is looking interesting).

We are possibly considering a light stained perimeter counter with white cabinets, and then a light blue island with the whitewash counter (but I'm extremely nervous). It's for the beach place so thought it could be fun.

There was not a huge difference after 1 coat of stain vs. the waterlox-the cherry was obviously darker and a little blotchy.

My plan is to add another coat of stain to 1/2 of the block and then leave the other 1/2 block with 1 coat stain +multiple waterlox coats as I have seen it darkens with waterlox.

So I didn't do side by sides yet of any except the white wash since this one is so different. It is intriguing but I definitely would want a whiter look-right now it looks more like raw wood.

And here are some of our inspiration photos along with the current space in progress. Not sure if I will chicken out of the blue with white counter or not.My husband likes a more powerful blue(like key west) while I am thinking more subtle will be easier to coordinate with.

Would love your thoughts.. ps it is for a 'beach house" for those that haven't seen my other posts!!

I didn't capture all yet, but front to back on the right is #1-4, 5-7 runs back to front on the left. I promise to get better pics after there are more coats on!

White wash vs. Waterlox (1 coat of each)

Our work in progress:

Possible ideas for blue island. YES OR NO???? remainder of kitchen is all white/beech counters

Comments (14)