SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tncraft

Brick - Paint, lime wash, mortar wash

tncraft
12 years ago

Questions on paint, lime wash, and mortar wash

1. If you did any of these, why did you choose one over the other?

2. What are the pros and cons?

3. How was the paint, lime wash, or mortar wash applied (e.g. sprayed, brushed, etc)?

4. What kind of maintenance should I expect?

Comments (58)

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback.

After discussing the subject again with my H, we're now leaning towards either paint or the ReCote product. That said, I'm waiting for a house to be done where they are doing a mortar wash before ruling it out. Hopefully they will be done next week.

Well, our builder is convincing us not to paint. He's against painting. Everyone is saying we're turning a maintenance-free material to one that requires maintenance.

I have not received any quotes yet. Hoping to hear something today since I'm not even sure if any of the options would be within our budget.

We really like the look of the painted brick house we saw. But all the comments we hear on painting is very discouraging. Now, I'm trying to find a "good enough" regular brick, in case we decide to forget about painting/white washing/etc.

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As I investigate further, everyone I talk to is discouraging me about doing anything with the bricks especially on painting. :(

• Related Discussions

Paint the Brick? Lime Wash? Or Neither? Facelift

Q

Comments (19)
    I will post some pics on the front door shortly. I have heard of Romabio, do they exist in Canada? What garage doors would you guys recommend? Also I so agree about the bad combo of the orange brick color with the stone, the builder even put orange toned hardwood throughout the house, maybe orange was a thing in the early 2000s haha. Now Im getting rid of all the orange
    ...See More

Fireplace -To White Wash or Mortar Wash?

Q

Comments (7)
    paint it. and that scalloped trim on the bookcases, sorry, but it's very dated looking. You can easily trim that off. But I'd paint the entire thing the same white as the brick. And that mantle would also need to go. it's the wrong look for that style brick fireplace this one is pretty close to what you have. notice the mantle and fireplace screen. And, I think it would look neater if you put doors on your lower shelves. Like they have here on the left. Then you could style the shelves w/a few selected items and hide the mis-mash tried doing a photo shop. now, does this really look worse than what you currently have? you have the exact same set up as these two. These look amazing. there's no need to hand onto to those wood shelves! I know they're oak, but they're not a super crafted oak fireplace. they're just, blah. paint them and style them like shown! I photoshopped it both ways for you pretend the surround is brick. but notice the shelving. contrasting color in the back, everything else white. you could do baskets or pull out drawers on your bottom shelf. But, here are some pictures so you can see what it might look like. (and don't worry about painting that brick, it will be fine. may take a few coats (prime it first) but it will work. don't forget to paint out the gold in that insert. (or remove it) this is almost the same as yours. you could try a chalk paint or a milk paint. (or just use Romabio lime wash) paint out the mantle along w/your bookcases.
    ...See More

White wash, lime wash or do nothing?

Q

Comments (20)
    Paint the fence and gate black. I recently spray painted part of my mother's chain link fence and posts. It was very easy to do. Rustoleum spray paint. Give the gate a bit of a brush with a wire brush before painting. Downspouts dark brown so they don't contrast against the brick. This isn't a house for an elaborate driveway. Black asphalt will look just fine. I can't see enough of the house to see where a walkway would go so I won't comment on that. But again, nothing too patterned or colourful. I've seen too many "fancy" walkways that clash badly with the house's brick, although they probably looked great at the showroom or in a brochure. I'd stick with dark brown slabs. She can stain (not paint) the new brick to match the old brick. Stain can be custom tinted. https://romabio.com/faqs/#masonry What is the white box to the right of the driveway? Can it be painted to make it less obvious? After removing the evergreens, come back for advice on planting. For now, I'd remove the 3 sad shrubs in the middle of the grass.
    ...See More

Mortar wash brick wall AND ground?

Q

Comments (8)
    You can limewash or mortar wash anything, even the accent borders on the drive. It will likely last a few years, just like when a concrete patio is painted with concrete and porch paint. You'll have to tweak it from time to time, but I don't think I'd find that objectionable. It all depends on the traffic. https://notinggrace.com/how-to-install-and-mortar-wash-a-herringbone-brick-patio/
    ...See More
  • Kathy Beebe
    12 years ago

tncraft,

It's your house so do what you would like. If you don't paint it there will be those who don't like the color of brick you picked, or the mortar, or the way the brick was laid, or the trim color with your brick choice etc. etc. This house is for your family and not others so choose what you want. Listen to sound advice but don't be a sheep.

• pps7
    12 years ago

I agree with bb19. Exterior paint has come a long way. It is extra maintenance , but you likely won't need to do anything for 25 years which is a small price to pay for getting the look you want.

We have stained real wood garage doors. it is extra maintenance but we live the look.

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bb19 and pps7... Thanks for the encouragement to do what I want. :)

My question though, how to find reliable info on painting? Everything I find online seems to say painting brick is bad, makes the brick less durable, etc, etc...

• Kathy Beebe
    12 years ago

I grew up in a painted brick house. The paint lasted 30 years before it had to be repainted due to some minor chipping of the paint. Other than that I never noticed any difference. I had a painted brick house for 4 years when I lived in another city. I really liked the look and I had to repaint the trim once but not the brick.

• pps7
    12 years ago

If you are really concerned you can do 3-4 coats of limewash. That will give you an opaque look. Limewash will not chip, it will slowly wash off in time giving a look of patina. This will likey take decades. It allows the brick to "breath". The cost should be about the same. The only downside is that is will show water.

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bb19... 30yrs?? Wow! That sounds good to me. :) Maybe the people who are telling me to stay away from applying anything on bricks are just too uninformed???

pps7... I thought more limewash coats means higher chance of it coming off the brick. I think I read it somewhere about not making it too thick; not sure what "too thick" means though. H really like the consistency of paint, and not crazy about the patina with limewash. So, with paint, the brick can't "breathe"? I've read that somewhere but I wonder if it's true or not. :)

• nini804
    12 years ago

Oh heavens...you will get EVERYONE coming out if the woodwork telling you NOT to paint your brick. They were not usually people in the design end of things, and were all typically older folk. Perhaps brick painted with one coat of exterior latex might have some maintenance issues...but our builder and his painting crew have done this before. I trust them, our builder actually lives in my hood, and I doubt he would want to build a peeling mess on his street. I did a lot of research, I even went to an older area of Charlotte that has some gorgeous painted brick homes. I actually asked some homeowners about issues with their painted brick...none had any.

Another cost savings is that you can choose a brick that may be on "sale," our brick was one I wouldn't have chosen if we weren't going to paint it...but our brickyard had a ton of it and wanted to clear it out. We saved a couple thou...not enough to cover the painting, but it helped.

Bottom-line...it is YOUR custom home, don't settle. If you love the look of painted brick do it. We get so many compliments on our home, often heard second hand from strangers who tell neighbors that, " they LOVE that painted brick house, who lives there?" :)

• dash3108
    12 years ago

Down here the term for morter wash is "sacked brick" because they smear the morter on with a burlap sack. With a "light sack" you still see the color of the brick through the mortar. "Heavy sack" means the brick is completely covered. I love the heavy sacked look, but we could never afford it. Yes, you get to use cheaper brick because the color doesn't matter, I think the added labor and the cost of buff-tinted mortar would kill it for us. It is different from painting brick. With painted brick you get the very distinct outline of each brick. With heavy-sacked brick, you get a more subtle outline of some of the brick, plus the added texture of the sandy mortar. It's really fine.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

As far as painted brick goes, you can achieve a great look (biased because that is what we did ;) by having the brick laid with a flush mortar joint. They can be messy or neat. We chose neat. Although the paint highlights some of the texture of the brick, it does not read as individual bricks as some brick houses do that were built not to be painted.

I have a sample painted on our brick and will go over tomorrow and try to get a picture. We used a cheap brick (.25 cents a brick), with a little texture but not loads of texture. It was a great choice because it does look random in texture - not manufactured so you see a repeat on the bricks. It was by Boral . . .

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

As far as the maintenance on brick, my builder (who paints brick often) says we will never have to do it again. The SW folks say the same. We are using Loxon, a SW masonry primer, and two coats of Duration SW paint. Duration has a lifetime warranty against chipping or peeling on masonry. The stuff you read on the net is outdated . . .

My sister lives in a brick house in Charlotte that was added onto and painted 10 plus years ago. The builder who bought the house and added on painted it - with regular latex paint. It still looks perfect, and I know he didn't go to the extra expense to do the Loxon primer (he bought the house and he and his decorator wife redid it and flipped it).

As far as opaque lime wash goes, here is a house my builder built in Sea Island, Florida. It is Cherokee Old Savannah brick (high texture), limewashed with 3 or 4 coats. You can see in some of the pictures the irrigation on the house. It is beautiful. It was recently in Coastal Living (I think that is it). I'll post that link next.

The best thing to me about a painted or lime washed brick is that it gives the house instant "roots" - which I love. Doesn't look spanking new . .

Hope this link gets you to the right house. If you get to his main website it is the first Sea Island house under Gallery . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Island Home

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

This is the Coastal Living feature on the same house. I had the pleasure of touring it with my builder before we selected him to work with. The pictures don't do it justice - it is lovely and homey and reflects the Mizner style architecture of historic Sea Island but fits in perfectly with the older homes. . . the lime wash helped achieve that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Island Coastal Living

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

Don't listen to the detractors if you love painted or limewashed brick. I am not a red brick person, but I have ALWAYS loved painted brick. I grew up in Atlanta and spent years in Birmingham and there are tons of painted brick, older 1920s era houses that have been fluffed along the way and still look fantastic. That is the look I wanted. A classic, timeless, but still current look.

I realized that I have loved painted brick for at least 18 years and will love it for 30 more - will never get tired of it.

If it is what you love, do it! It gives a real permanence, new "old" house, decidedly untrendy but timeless look, I think. Of course I am biased . . .

Also google the Things that Inspire blog post on painted brick. The blogger just completed a beautiful (amazingly beautiful in person), very french house in Atlanta and used painted brick. She did a flush mortar joint also but a more textured brick than I used - it is beautiful. She loved french houses and didn't love, at all, stucco so this is what she did. She followed her heart and it is fabulous!!!

• nini804
    12 years ago

Hey Athensmom, is there a pic of the Things That Inspire house anywhere I can google? I don't think I ever saw that she posted the exterior on her blog. Sorry OT, tncraft!

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

nini804 - she has bits and pieces on the outside recently. . . I don't think she has a full on picture on the internet. Holly has sent me bits and pieces and I have seen it in person (on the outside - not inside) and it is beautiful!!! (x1000 exclamation points ;)

• nini804
    12 years ago

I can only imagine!! Oh, I wish she would post it...her taste is amazing. Can't wait to see how your gorgeous house looks painted, too! How much longer til they paint?

• worthy
    12 years ago

Turning a low maintenance product into a higher maintenance one is a case of style trumping all other concerns.

Dr. Joe Lstiburek, perhaps the leading North American expert on moisture in buildings, includes painting brick as one of the "Top Ten Dumb Things to do in the South."

Still, if you insist on it, take a look at this Technical Note from the Brick Institute of America.

Lime washes would be my choice if I wanted to instantly age a masonry building without increasing maintenance costs.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"What kind of maintenance should I expect?"

A lot more than just the brick maintenance, and that is pretty low.

Make sure you really want the look and extra maintenance.

It is VERY hard to completely remove any of your 'finishes' from brick without damaging the brick.

Sandblasting is devastating to brick, and even pressure washing to remove a finish causes damage to the brick and mortar.

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

worthy... Thanks for the link.

brickeyee... We're currently trying to understand the type of maintenance required. We're probably okay with it, but I want to make sure we really understand what's involved.

nini804 and athensmomof3.... I was told a brick house painted white will eventually look "dirty" in less than 5 yrs. I was told it won't look white and will look more like a cream because of weather and dirt.

The brick person told me that anything white will turn "dirty" in a few years. We were considering their white brick and looked at a 4-yr old house with the same white brick. Well, the color of the brick is cream! He said the white brick will look like that over time.

Then he claimed that a brick painted white will also look like that over time. So, is this true that a brick painted white will look cream in 4-5 yrs? If so, I assume a painted brick can easily be cleaned? Or would it need repainting to maintain the white color?

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nini804 / athensmomof3.... How is the paint applied? Spray? Brushed? Rollers?

nini804... Did they use Duration on your house too?

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"We're currently trying to understand the type of maintenance required. We're probably okay with it, but I want to make sure we really understand what's involved. "

If you want a 'fresh painted' look it will require repainting, and anyone telling you otherwise is full of Bovine Scatology.

There is simply no coating that will stay on brick and look 'new' for the expected life of the brick.

If you like the 'washing off' and 'peeling paint' look you can stretch out maintenance cycles.

The only maintenance for brick is periodic inspection and pointing of any mortar that has come off.
    It is more of an issue in areas with freezing weather.

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was really hoping we could use a white brick (instead of painting), but here's the brick we looked at:

{{gwi:1402046}}

It's disappointing to see it turn to cream in just 4 yrs. :(

• worthy
    12 years ago

Some bricks hold their whiteness longer than others. Here's a pic of a 20-22 year old home with, I believe, Arriscraft white concrete brick, long since out of production. (Not posted for workmanship!) It's a puzzle to me why anybody would be puzzled that white goes grey.

• nini804
    12 years ago

Hey Tncraft-
    They sprayed our paint...I will ask our builder if they used Duration, I am just not sure. Our builder built a brick house that they painted white about 7 years ago...it still looks great, and very white. We actually chose an "off-white" color...SW Eider White. I have looked at so many painted brick homes, and I have seen so many different colors, creams, taupes, greys, and lots of different whites. *shrug* I guess the way that I look at it is, I was building a custom home (which will hopefully be our "forever" home) and painted brick was the finish I kept seeing in my mind's eye when I pictured my dream house. There are cons to every exterior surface...we had to pay extra initially to paint it, and if we ultimately have to do more maintenance, well, it is worth it to us to get the house we wanted. I looked at light/white brick and they all looked commercial to me.
    Anyway, good luck with your decision...it is hard.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

We had the same thought process as nini. We are building our forever house, something that is custom and designed for us not for resale. I knew painted brick is something I would love forever. My sister's house in Charlotte was painted over 10 years ago and still looks great with no chipping, peeling, crazing, etc. I expect she has a few more years at least before needing to repaint.

White brick was not in the running for us but we did look at a few neutral colored bricks and were not fans of the look. I think white brick does tend to look commercial, while painted or limewashed brick has a patina.

I didn't want a brick house unless it was painted - we would have gone with siding or shingles instead. From what I understand, painted brick requires significantly less maintenance than siding. As far as the article posted by Worthy, that has not been the experience of the people I know with painted brick houses - perhaps because the article is 30 years old and there have been advances to paints since then?

I do agree that white brick has not aged well - not just to a cream but to an unattractive yellowish cream!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"There are cons to every exterior surface..."

And any exterior painted surface will require a lot more attention than just plain brick.

There are brick buildings many hundreds of years old that have stood the test of time.

None of them are painted.

New bricks and mortar should last even longer.
    The bricks are more evenly fired, and the mortar while stronger is still softer than the bricks.
    This is how you get brick buildings to last a long time.

The softer mortar will eventually require some maintenance (pointing) but the bricks themselves will stand up to the exposure just fine.

A well dine brick wall should not require any pointing for at least 15-20 years.

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

worthy... lol. Trust me, I wasn't expecting a pearly white brick after 4 yrs. But cream?? When we were looking for the house, we passed by it because it looked like a yellow brick house from the street.

The pic you posted above for the arriscraft brick looks 1000x better than the yellow house we saw. I just got the quote for the arriscraft white brick this morning. I definitely would want to see a weathered one in person. I don't want a yellow house in 4 yrs!!! FYI, the other white brick (turned cream in 4 yrs) is not arriscraft.

nini804 and athensmomof3.... Thanks for the additional info. Right now, we are considering either SW or the Master Wall Recote.

We are still interested in lime washing, but I have not found a lime washed house in the area. If we do lime wash, we would want it to be very opaque (3-4 coats). Another problem with this option is finding a crew who have done it. My builder mentioned we may have to bring a crew out of town to do it.

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

brickeeye... How about lime washed brick? Would they last long too? I assume old homes were used to be lime washed?

• pps7
    12 years ago

tncraft, our crew had never limewashed either. It's very easy, especially if you are going for an opaque look. There are a few youtube videos that are instructional. THe key it to keep it wet and you need the proper weather conditions- not too hot or cold and no rain in the forecast. We bought our white wash from US heritage. Their "white" was very stark so they did a custom ivory color for me. They were extremely help. We ordered samples first and played around in the back/least visible portion of the house.

I've linked a thread about my whitewash saga.

Here is a link that might be useful: whitewash saga

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

I would compare the Recote product with paint in person, if you can. We considered that but the Recote looked more industrial (perhaps because the place we looked at it was a school). We liked the painted brick better, but that was just us! I would view it in person though if you can.

• worthy
    12 years ago

Painted brick is definitely a regional taste. The only painted brick I see here is on deteriorated much repaired 19th Century homes. Or the colourful ethnic shops in Kensington Market.

• Kathy Beebe
    12 years ago

A Hays Town is one of my favorite architects and he used a lot of painted brick. Ken Tate worked with Hays Town and you can see some of his work below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted brick

• Kathy Beebe
    12 years ago

Al Jones is another product of the A Hays Town style.

Here is a link that might be useful: Al Jones

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

Thanks for the AL Jones link - never heard of him and beautiful stuff!

McAlpine Tankersley just posted pictures of a Charleston, SC renovation that they are about to complete - also painted brick ;) Love it!

• worthy
    12 years ago

bb19

Very nice! (But I couldn't see the painted brick. Lots of stucco though.)

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

I saw 3 or four that were painted brick as I paged through, although this one appears to be limewashed (can see some red brick peeking through at the top of the chimney) . . .

And the McAlpine Tankersley pictures are on their facebook page and yowza that is a huge house!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pps7... Thanks for the info and link. I did call US Heritage but didn't get anybody and just left a message. Still waiting for them to call. I did call San Marco too. The rep was very helpful. He mentioned that getting the opaque look is easy and does not require a professional to do it. The only time you need someone trained is when you want an antiqued look. He offered to send a sample of their product. This may be the only way for us to see how a limewashed brick looks like. I guess I can ask our mason to build a stack of brick like in the link you posted and try it on something like that. Or, maybe ask the brick supplier. :)

athensmomof3... Can you tell me if you'll be using a flat or satin paint?

nini804... Did you use flat or satin? :)

bb19... Thanks for the links! Those are cool!

Today, I did go to another brick supplier, Boral. I was told that their PastelCote is now the ReCote. They sold it to MasterWall. I'm not happy with the warranty though; 5 yrs sounds too short.

Here's some pictures I took at their showroom showing sample bricks with ReCote:

{{gwi:1402049}}

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

We are doing flat. We sampled both at the insistence of our painter (I knew I wanted flat) and we liked the flat better. We also did a flush mortar joint, which I like much better than the standard mortar joint when you are painting brick. We sampled 3 bricks in 3 price points, all Boral, one was .25 cents a brick (the one we liked the best), there was a mid range one and then the Boral 17th century was 1.00 a brick. It was also very pretty but a little more tumbled looking than we wanted. We have some texture on our brick, enough that it doesn't look "manufactured", but it is not nearly as staggered looking as the Boral was.

For some reason, the recote looks so thick to me - more like stucco than painted brick, or something?

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forgot to add... I got a cost estimate on the ReCote. Not sure how much we can get the SW Loxon and Duration. Based on SW regular price, the ReCote is ~50% less. :)

• tncraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

athensmomof3... Thanks for the info. I like the look of the flat too. My concern though is dirt/stain/etc. Our current house has some flat paint inside, and they are a pain to clean! lol. Or, is there a quick/easy way to clean exterior flat painted wall?

Yes, I'm also wondering how thick the ReCote. It does look thick on the samples. But not sure if the sides of the samples are indicative of how thick it is. I'll ask the rep next time if the recote on the sides of the samples are just ReCote that oozed down. :)

• Kathy Beebe
    12 years ago

Worthy,

The Alexander house by Ken Tate has painted brick. He also has a painted brick house in the book "Creating a New Old House" by Russell Versaci.

• mooredb
    10 years ago

I am very certain the houses that Ken Tate and A Hays Town are limewash. I have all of Ken Tate and a few of A Hays Town and there are several houses that look like painted brick but they state it's lime washed with 2 or 3 coats with some sacking. Not to say that they haven't done it either because of what a client my want. But from what I've seen and read its limewashed. Limewash can be applied to make it look like paint. Although limewash really is a paint...

Also you can order your brick with a limewash that doesn't cost any extra. Thats what the guy at the brick place told us. We are looking to do a heavy limewash like what's in Ken Tate's books. We like the old world classic look that limewash creates.

• mooredb
    10 years ago

I am very certain the houses that Ken Tate and A Hays Town are limewash. I have all of Ken Tate and a few of A Hays Town and are several houses that look like painted brick but they state it's limewashed. Not to say that they haven't done it either because of what a client my want. But from what I've seen and read its limewashed. Limewash can be applied to make it look like paint. Although limewash really is a paint...

Also you can order your brick with a limewash that doesn't cost any extra. Thats what the guy at the brick place told us. We are looking to do a heavy limewash like what's in Ken Tate's books.

Here's a great link on limewash

Here is a link that might be useful: Limewash

• aurorasur
    10 years ago

We went through that dilemma too. We actually found a brick called winter frost by mid america brick that we really like. It has the appearance of an off white painted brick but is really a brick manufactured to be white through it's body. An extra plus for us is that the brick has a great historic rustic texture too. Not to mention it is cheaper than painting the brick. The whitewash we backed away from since it was looking pink and because of maintenance and cost.

• kled2008
    10 years ago

We are purchasing a home and I plan to paint the brick. (Photos attached). I know there are a lot of differing aesthetics out there and many would never consider painting brick. Though I value your individual preferences, I have always loved the look of off white/light neutral painted brick homes and would love suggestions on specific paint and trim colors. The home is brick and stone. My goal is to find an off white paint for the brick that does not turn creamy yellow or isn't to bright a white that will make the stone "pop"...possibly a shaded white with slight gray undertones. The windows are currently a shade of putty/greige/taupe and the casings and trim are cream. I'm thinking the windows and casing should be painted the same color? Should they be taupe or the off white of the house? There are shutters for the windows, but they have never been put up and I would like to find a putty/greige/taupe for them. Please take a look and give me your thoughts!!! Many thanks in advance.

• mooredb
    10 years ago

Hi there. Nice home. Yes there are many lime formulas and techniques to white wash a house on the internet. Does your brick have a smooth finish to it, is it porous? A way to test this is to run water over the brick, does some of the water absorb into the brick? Does the brick stay damp for a bit? If so then your brick will work well with lime washing. If not then lime may not work well on your brick. So test a small area first.

I know this may be a bit bold for you but I would consider white washing the entire house. I personally like homes in one color. It gives it more of a classic look. Also it would like very nice with the different textures of material( brick and stone). If you feel that might be a bit too much start with the brick first and see if you like it. Start with thin coats then keep applying. I feel the stone needs to be softened up a bit. So add a few thin coats over that as well. I would personally go all white and add plant, shrubs, trees and vines next to the house to break up the wall height. Plus that would really make your landscaping pop up against that White House and give it character.

There is a lime formula that is mixed with white Portland cement that a world renowned architect Ken Tate gave me that we are using on our home. I've done some sample walls and it turned out great! It sort a tad thicker than a straight lime wash and it gives the brick a soft edge. It looks like it's been painted 100 times. Just like the old buildings in Europe were limed washed back in the 1800's. The mix I use is 4 parts white Portland cement and 1 part lime, 4.5 parts of water. Should have a consistency of whole milk but not too thick! You can mix pigment in with any formula but we choose not too. It comes out white but with a very soft gray white. I tested it with the reverse formula and the lime was Greek white. As light hits the lime, light reflects twice as much. So the more lime the brighter it greats unless you add a pigment. Some people like some brick sort of bleeding through, however we are covering all our brick so that it's all white. If you plan to go all white, you'll need several coats to cover.

Sounds like you are adding shutters, good idea. That will give the house character. Also make sure when you buy or have them made to make sure they are sized properly to actually cover the window if they were closed. Not too small. I would go with a dark hunter green on your shutter and keep your windows and window trim the taupe color. And other trim white.

If you go the lime route make sure you find someone that knows what they're doing. The most import thing when applying lime is to keep the wall wet down but not standing water, after applying the first coat of lime, let it dry 24 hours between coats. If you don't let it cue long enough between coats you'll have crazing (which are a network of very fine cracks). And make sure it's done between outside temperatures 50-90. Morning and afternoons. Try to not apply it when the sun is beating down. You don't want it drying too fast. We are liming the house ourselves, I know it's cray but we can't fine anyone that can do it.

Also if you don't want to mix this yourself there is a company called Roma ( google Roma lime wash) they have premixed lime putty formulas and they can also mix in your pigment of choice. Just add water and your ready to start liming.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

• Kaye Harris
    8 years ago

Really love this!!

• Natasha Tessier
    6 years ago

@athensmomof3 can you show us your brick with flush mortar joint? I would love to see it

• Stacy
    5 years ago
    @tncraft, what did you end up doing? how has the maintenance been? did your color hold up?