SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Andersen SmartSun Glass ???

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

Our kitchen and DR gets full sun a lot of the day and we have blinds we close on hot days. We don't want to cover our windows with the reno and am wondering about the SmartSun Glass???

Any thoughts or experience?

Comments (26)

• whallyden
    11 years ago

IIRC, Cardinal makes the glass for most major window companies. I believe Andersen is simply rebranding Cardinal's LoE3-366 -- which we are using throughout our new build (in Marvin's "Integrity" line). While I don't have any real life experience with the glass yet I'm very excited about UV transmittance being limited to ~5%.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cardinal Glass

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks whallyden,
    Here is the info on the andersen...

Introducing SmartSunTM glass from Andersen.
    Andersen now offers a glass option on all 400 Series windows and doors that provides you with a desirable balance of high visibility and comfort. We call it SmartSunTM because of the way it cleverly rejects unwanted solar heat while allowing the sunlight to stream through. It gives you another choice in addition to High-PerformanceTM Low-E4î glass with its sparkling clarity and High-PerformanceTM Low-E4î Sun glass with itâÂÂs appealing tint. SmartSun also helps protect your furniture, carpets and drapes by blocking out 95 percent of the damaging ultraviolet rays that can cause fading and it can be instrumental in reducing energy consumption. So, now when you choose the glass for your windows and doors, your choice is more clear.

I tried to put a link but have been having trouble all morning with error messages : (

• Related Discussions

Andersen glass failure due to negative pressure

Q

Comments (129)
    I was an AW service tech for 16 years, but have been out for 2.5 years. I seem to remember that art glass itself had essentially no warranty after delivery due to its nature & fragility. But when they started offering the art glass inside the airspace of insulated glass, I believe that had a warranty against seal failure or other manufacturing defects for ten years. Like I said, though-I've been out for a while so I looked it up. According to the warranty listed at this link, it is indeed a ten year warranty against seal failure. What you're describing sounds like a seal failure if the haze is in the airspace. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.andersenwindows.com/-/media/aw/files/technical-docs/warranty/warranty-windows-patiodoors--artglass--400series--200series.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjisNf7xdfsAhVUGM0KHQ9xCK0QFjABegQIDxAF&usg=AOvVaw1WaFG9vGQAxQo-1zHABQEY With all that said-is the art glass indeed in the insulated space? Can you post a picture of the haze you're referring to? Do you know the Product ID number?
    ...See More

New casements: Marvin Ultimates or Andersen 400's?

Q

Comments (1)
    Which did you choose? I have the same question!!
    ...See More

Smart sun with Heatlock?

Q

Comments (1)
    I would worry most about it being prone to condensation and damage.
    ...See More

Andersen 100 Series casement pricing

Q

Comments (6)
    The 100 series is not the most expensive line even in casements. The 400 is a vinyl clad sash with wood jambs , so not really much wood in this package. Did you send your pricing through the Home Depot bid room? They often Have 15% sales as well. Sounds like you did some homework , keep us updated.
    ...See More
  • bmorepanic
    11 years ago

Low-e glass doesn't remove brightness or glare or reduce heat gain - so don't be surprised if you need to use window coverings again. If you really don't want window coverings, I'm wondering if you could build-in either an awning outside (those fold up ones) or exterior sun roller shades.

This'll sound crazy, but 8 years ago, we planted a BIG tree - 3" caliper red oak. This year, it's almost large enough to shield the entire southwest facing side of the house all day. We live in an 80 y.o. stucco house, so it's worth it not to create and store so much heat in the summer.

Just as a caution, we experienced a slight color shift with high uv protection from another maker (pella). It mattered to us because 355 days a year, we don't turn any lights on during day-light hours. It seems to affect mainly some brown-peachy undertones and it was enough so I had to adjust the paint colors.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bmorepanic- But the SunSmart, isn't the standard LowE4 glass... is it??
    That's why I was asking about it.

We have a large awning now outside that we may put back up after the reno but we're not sure if it will work with new roof overhang, etc.

• JazzyzGurl
    7 years ago

2LittleFishies - did you end up going with the Anderson SunSmart glass? We're looking at window options right now and were considering it. It would be great to hear from someone who has them :)

• Steve Allen
    7 years ago

These threads are so frustrating when you get to the end and there are no follow up answers. 2LittleFishes - did you go with the Andersen smart sun windows? Can you comment? JazzyzGirl - Did you find out any more info you can share? Anyone have real world reviews?

• JazzyzGurl
    7 years ago

We went with the Low E/E-4 glass. We opted to go that route instead of with the SmartSun because it appeared that the SmartSun glass was tinted/treated in such a way that it impacted the visual clarity through the windows, which we did not want. Anderson does not say this directly, but it was hinted at it on another forum, which completely turned me away from the SmartSun.

Our Low E/E-4 windows were just installed a few weeks ago and we're still in full-on renovation, so I can't give any feedback other than they're perfectly clear glass with no visible tint to them.

• Steve Allen
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hey! Thanks for the response! Yes, apparently that is common with any windows that block 95%+ UV rays. Andersen has a comparison table that shows how much visibility is blocked based on the type of window you select: https://www.andersenwindows.com/options-and-accessories/glass-options/

Even the Low E/E-4 windows block some visibility you just don't notice it. I talked to a Seirra Pacific Windows salesperson that seemed very knowledgeable. He said the windows with UV protection do have a slight more tint than the regular Low E but you wouldn't really notice it even if you had some of both types of windows in your home unless they were installed right next to each other.

To be honest, I don't think I would mind a very slight, hardly noticeable tint of the Smart Sun windows (So long as it is really hardly noticeable. That's my concern). It also blocks some heat coming through the windows. I figure in the winter I will remove the screens which will allow more light to come through. I've learned that it's best to remove them in the winter anyway if you have casement windows to prevent condensation between the panes.

So, it probably sounds like I have all the answers right? Ha, ha! It's all good talking to sales people and reading info from the manufacturers, but I find info from REAL people that have lived with the product to be invaluable. Hopefully someone who actually has the Smart Sun windows will chime in.

• Steve Allen
    7 years ago

Here is an interesting comparison from Andersen that demonstrates the difference between Low-E4 and Low-E4 SmartSun a little better:

http://www.andersonglassco.com/pdf/SmartSun_SellSheet.pdf

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, It's 2LittleFishies! We love our SmartSun windows but after 4 or so years I really don't remember any of the details. I don't notice any loss of clarity at all! They don't look tinted either but there are no other windows directly near it that I could compare. Hope this helps!

• Steve Allen
    7 years ago

Thanks for commenting. Did you install the Andersen SmartSun or just Low E4 windows?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oops! SmartSun. (I edited ^)

• Steve Allen
    7 years ago

Perfect! Just what I was hoping to hear. That's what I'll probably go with as long as the cost difference isn't too high.

• kmszabo
    6 years ago

Steve Allen Just wondering if you went with smart sun windows? We are considering using them and I am worried about the tint.

• Steve Allen
    6 years ago

We did go with Smart Sun. The cost was minimal. They are installed but unfortunately construction has been very slow. They still have the plastic film from the factory covering the glass. And the painters have everything taped and plastic over the windows right now. From what I could tell I don’t think I’ll really be able to tell the film is there. The sales person seemed very knowledgeable and told me you wouldn’t be able to tell unless you installed two windows (one with and one without) side by side on the same wall. I went ahead and did every window in the house in Smart sun. I’ll try to report back hopefully in a couple weeks when the painters are done.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

"They still have the plastic film from the factory covering the glass. "

Hopefully they have not been installed too long as that film becaomes an absolute nightmare to remove after a month or two........................

• quasiexpert
    6 years ago

+1 to mwm's advice. In this area of northern indiana, you can usually make it about 6-9 months if it's our cooler seasons, but I wouldn't want to go even that long in the south.

• kmszabo
    6 years ago

Steve Allen - thank you for replying. That would be great if you could respond back when they are not covered. I think we will be using them though. We are supposed to make our decision within the next couple of weeks.

• watbeach
    6 years ago

I would like to know if when using the SmartSun glass you can then do without blinds or shades? Window faces the south so there is a lot of light coming in!

• Steve Allen
    6 years ago

Smart Sun glass only blocks about 7% more light than the standard Low E glass. So, there will still be lots of light coming in. Smart Sun will block 95% of UV light. This is probably enough Block to not worry about fading without having blinds. So, the way I see it, you only need blinds/shades for 3 reasons. 1. Privacy 2. Block Light 3. Decor. Some parts of the home may be fine without blinds, but I would think most people would want blinds in the bedrooms at the very least for privacy and block light when trying to sleep.

• quasiexpert
    6 years ago

Steve covered it well. However, I will say that IMHO the SmSun cuts down on glare while still allowing a lot of light in.

I am a very private person and think of everything tactically-so I would personally never have windows without at least a window covering option on each and every one. But I know a lot of people that only have them in bedrooms & bathrooms.

6 years ago

This thread--and a faded magazine cover--inspired me to try and figure out what level of UV-blocking we have in our year-plus old Marvin Ultimate windows with their "standard" glass, but I'm not easily finding that information. In the meantime, however, I found this fading chart, based on a Cardinal technical service bulletin, which says that UV isn't the only component of fading. Ugh.

If anyone has a link to Marvin UV information, I'd appreciate it, and I also wonder if adding a window film to further reduce UV would be a meaningful improvement.

• kmszabo
    6 years ago

Thank you for the information - very helpful - we will go with the Smart Sun!

• Marcy Thompson
    6 years ago

Anyone have any experience with the Smart Sun with Heatlock glass? And is the Heatlock really necessary if you don't live in a northern climate?

• Sharon Brodeur
    5 years ago

We're poised to order an Anderson Narroline 6ft slider. In light of the "melting" controversy brewing around these "energy" coatings, I'm concerned that our Trex decking, which sits immediately outside the slider, may be subject to the same fate with the Sunsmart coating! The deck is dark brown (BAD idea, gets too hot in the sun for bare feet), and I'm worried that the Sunsmart coating will exacerbate that, possibly even warp it, given the proximity. Thoughts?