SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gone_south

Rolling up the sleeves, ready to tackle the backsplash. Pls help!

gone_south
11 years ago

Hopefully, the granite is going in Thursday so I'll have pictures of the install by the end of the week. I'd like your thoughts on backsplash tile to tie things together.

Cabinets have a cherry color to them (actually the wood is maple with a walnut stain but matches our real cherry table very well). Floor is 5" white oak and will have a light, natural finish. Granite is honed and brushed black and gold marinace. The granite is busy, the honed finish removes the sign and gives an earth feel. The countertop design has lots of round shapes.

I'll be off to do some tile shopping in the next few days. I'm thinking something light and wonder about a rectangular travertine possible? Any suggestions on what direction might tie things together.

There is a mosaic we are considering. We live on a horse farm in an equestrian development, and are planning on being here a looong time, so resale isn't the first priority, and if and when the place would be marketed, it would be to horse people. I like the colors that the mosaic plays off of in the floor and the granite and also brings in some of the cabinets. It's available in ceramic, marble, or glass, and I need help pinpointing what will be the best medium. We have a 30" stove with an aluminum and glass range hood above it, as are thinking the 12" x 30" mural.

Here are some photos of the elements we are working with:

Possible mosaic:

Granite (our slab, still pollished, is on top, below is a honed piece from a different batch: note our slab does not have the pink the shows up in the honed sample):

Cabinets:

It's an open floorplan with an eating area to the side and a living room area that opens up beyond the peninsula.

Thoughts on tile to tie it together? Here is an inspiration picture of what I think may be travertine. My thought was that the stone texture would work with the granite, the light color is needed to contrast with dark cabinets and granite and tie in the floor, and the rectangular shape would contrast with the round shapes in the countertop. But then, I could be totally wrong!

I'm actually pretty wide open to suggestions that might make me reach and try stuff in the store that I might not have thought of. What say the wisdom of the TKOs?

Comments (23)