SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Cherry island top: oiled or Waterloxed?

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

I've been assuming that I would Waterlox (matte finish) my new cherry plank island top, for durability.

But yesterday I was at the cabinet shop looking at John Boos samples, and they had cherry both oiled and "Varnique" (which I assume is like Waterlox). I noticed that the oiled cherry was quite a bit darker.

Our cherry plank top will be atop natural cherry shaker-style cabinets. I started thinking that having a little bit of contrast between the base cabs and top would be nice! (The natural cherry finish on the cabinets looks VERY similar to the Varnique, so probably very similar to the Waterlox, too.)

Considerations:

-----I want this island to feel more like a big farm table than like "kitchen counters". (That's why plank rather than edge grain butcher block.)

-----We'll be using this island for a lot of food prep and for eating at. It will get fairly heavy use. I didn't intend to cut directly on it. There's no sink in the island.

Is there a clear reason to do one over the other, or does it just come down to aesthetics?

Would oiled wood constantly get those white rings from wet glasses, etc, or is it durable enough for the use we intend?

Comments (26)