SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Since you asked.. Forklift Finds... (long, of course!)

CEFreeman
11 years ago

Hi all!

So.

I've been having my back porch rebuilt, which was collapsing. I'm going to do the serious here, and name names. If you're not up for that, back arrow now.

I have been trying to figure out how to enclose a 37' x 12' porch for a 3-season area. I decided a long time ago it would be feasible to buy old French doors and just frame them in. Maybe use some for actual doors.

Today, I found 19, new, full-view French doors. They're definitely interior (only 1.5" deep), but the four I bought will be a perfect wall along the 12' side. YEAH! Thirty Five Dollars Each! OMG!

so making my rounds, I headed around the corner to the H4H. Where I found ... some windows!!!!!

I'd been eying 2 panels of 3 casement windows each. They were 92"w x 70"h, so it would be almost 16' long. Unfortunately when I got them to dig them out from behind the pile, I found they were wood frames. Oh, no! not wood. No added maintenance.

I was discouraged a bit until I turned around and saw.... aluminum clad casement windows. Two are 6'x65", and two, fixed, are 30"x65"! YEAH! I snapped them up for..[drum roll] One hundred and sixty dollars! I am so psyched. They're wood frames inside, but that's no biggie.

I admit to some frustration. The fellow, (names here) Mike Palino, whom I hired to rebuild my barn the year before, has bailed on me. My barn is not finished, and what he did has since begun to warp and separate in the 2 years.

I'd asked him to change projects and get the porch fixed up so I could get the gutters put on (another screw story, thank you, Thompson Creek) and he took that on. Unfortunately, no siding later, no cross pieces in the joists, and no lag bolts attaching the flat roof to the house, he's disappeared with $1000 of my money for materials. This was going to actually finish the porch.

I've called, written and begged him to come back and finish (now knowing what I now, NO NO NO), deliver the promised materials, or just return the money.

I go into yet another stupid screw-me story because it really is going to end well. My Multi-purpose Fred has attached the roof to the house, put in the cross pieces, will replace the 4x4 posts with proper 6x6 posts, ... and .... says he can easily frame in these windows, doors, and finish my porch.

Multi-Purpose Fred is also finishing the siding on the back of the house. Had to remove Mike's 1/2-assed attempt, but now it's doubly insulated with foam board and long, uninterrupted pieces of siding. Traded him for bow hunting rights, but I can't talk about that.

Heck, everytone should pay for everything twice, don't you think? Lets you really learn to appreciate a project being done right. Once, right, and finished.

And how does this integrate into a Kitchens' board, you're wondering? How long is she going to go on? and ON? Is there a point?

Welllll! I will get to look out my kitchen window onto my someday-glass enclosed 3-season porch. Oh, and my kitchen window? Thanks to ideas here, I'm going to make it flush with the countertop.

Comments (5)