SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

See, I do listen to you :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I know some of you have been recommending that I think about soapstone, but I was worried it would be too dark. However, there are many smart people on this forum, so I've been trying to keep an open mind.

When I saw this picture (it's actually black granite) I thought it might work in my kitchen. Is there a soapstone that would be more of a solid black? I don't want the veining, because I'm still thinking about using honed marble on my work table. Or would a honed black granite be a better choice?

Here's the picture. I'm still planning to use ceramic tile for my backsplash, but if I can find a soapstone I like...this would be a great look :)

{{gwi:1547695}}

Comments (38)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My soapstone is mottled but has no real veining to speak of.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Palimpsest. What kind do you have?

I like these pictures too. The first one is supposed to be soapstone, not sure about the second.

{{gwi:1879512}}

{{gwi:1879514}}

• Related Discussions

I see warm tones- what do you see

Q

Comments (31)
    I like both of the blue paint colors, they read "masculine" and really bring out the deep jewel tones in the rug. I'm partial to the first one but I'm not sure what they look like IRL, of course. Sorry, I don't see warm tones, or pillows, or baby pictures in this room. I think a stripe in navy blue, hunter green and/or burgundy might be nice for the drapes. I think the hunting prints would be a more interesting grouping if they included one or two matted prints, maybe an old sepia tone, to change things up. I'm racking my brain trying to remember where I saw it, but a pair of round footstool/coffee tables would be more useful and practical than one of either IMO. Ditch the drapes, and the wrought iron piece (love the art poster idea). I'm not sure about the chandelier, I think I would use ivory shades. Maybe a dart game, with the appropriate cork-lined case that would open to protect the walls. A cigar cutter and ashtray on the end table. Brandy snifters and cognac on the bar. I would want a (pocket?) door installed, so that I didn't have to be disturbed by the lions den goings on, that's just me. If the man reads, he'll want a better lamp and a sturdy bookshelf, if he's a music lover, he'll need space for a stereo too.
    ...See More

Do you see what I see?

Q

Comments (46)
    LOL, magnaverde! I hope this isn't too far OT, but I have another, more mundane, color/taste observation. Every year I make gallons of that middle-class holiday staple, cranberry Jello salad. My recipe, from a church cookbook, states "any flavor red gelatin." I prefer to use the red raspberry flavor, but I think almost all artificial 'fruity' flavors taste alike. Following are some ingredient lists for (basically) the same salad, found on the internet, on different sites: 1 (6 oz.) pkg. raspberry gelatin 1 c. boiling water 1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained, save juice 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice 1 (14 oz.) jar cranberry-orange relish 1 c. diced apples 1/2 c. broken pecans 1/4 c. celery, chopped 1 lb fresh cranberries crushed or minced 2 packages black cherry Jello 1 medium orange peeled and seeded (all white must be removed) 1 cup pecans or walnuts crushed 1 cup sugar 2 sm. strawberry Jello 1 Ocean Spray cran fruit (12 oz.) 1/2 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple 12-16 red grapes 1/4 c. chopped nuts 2 c. boiling water 1/2 c. cold water 1 lg. pkg. orange Jello 2 c. hot water 10 c. cold water 1 jar orange cranberry relish 1/2 c. chopped celery 1/2 c. chopped walnuts I was surprised to find this one, too: 1 (3 oz.) pkg. lemon Jello 1 2/3 c. water 1/2 c. celery, chopped or diced 1/2 c. nut meats 1 c. ground cranberries 1/2 c. ground orange 2/3 c. sugar Or 1 c. cranberry orange relish may be used I'd be willing to wager that very few people, least of all myself, could tell what 'flavor' of gelatin was used in the final product.
    ...See More

How do you LISTEN to books?

Q

Comments (40)
    Well, to answer the question, I listen to books through the Talking Books program that is run by the US Library of Congress National Library Service. I do all of my "reading" this way and have done so for the last 25 years. I'm very used to books on tape. Soon they will be converting to a digital format. Of course, being this kind of reader means that I don't often get to take part in discussions of books on boards like this one. I can't just order up a book from the library and expect to get it in time for the discussion. Sometimes I wait many years for a requested book. Just the other day I got one I'd requested 12 years ago, for instance. On the other hand, I get to keep the books for up to a year. I know of no other library with such a generous policy. Back in my student days, we often had to get library books for 24 hours only--and race back with them to avoid stiff fines.
    ...See More

Anyone listening to Serial? You've got to see the spoof

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes, I did. Very interesting! Thanks for the spoof - hadn't seen that yet.
    ...See More
  • traceee
    13 years ago

Lavender lass, you have just about gone full-circle in your planning stages of this re-model. Was it last summer that you first joined GW and began planning? What has happened to the French Country that you first imagined your kitchen to be?

All the past pictures and postings as you researched different elements and looks such as French Country, Snow White, white cabinets, wood cabinets, blue counter-tops, laminate counter tops, wood, marble, granite, and tile countertops, wood floors, linoleum floors, linoleum brick floors.......

Are you lost in the pre-planning stages? Are you over-whelmed or just so taken with all the different elements available and the beauty of all the different choices? I understand that your re-model is huge, and I would guess quite costly and of course you want to get it perfect. I would be anxious about undertaking such a project.

Do you begin your construction soon? Perhaps some of your friends here on GW can help you sort through all these overwhelming choices. I have followed your story for a while, but I honestly nearly dropped my laptop on the floor when I read that you are now looking at soapstone. This forum to me is like reading a magazine. I fall in love with different elements and different looks and the beauty each kitchen how different they can all be.

If there were only some way to squeeze it all into one kitchen!!! Is the blue and yellow French Country kitchen really what is in your heart of hearts?

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Dear Lavender, I love your first inspiration photo with the sunflowers. Could I ask, what publication did it appear in? I'd love to read the full story of that kitchen because I'm thinking about yellow walls and black soapstone counters.

There are a number of soapstone types that have minimal veining. P.A., Cobra, and Black Galaxy are three samples I have with minimal veining. You can look at samples on the websites of the big soapstone companies like Texiera and Dorado. Of course nothing substitutes for walking through the yard and looking at the slabs.

The weathered patina of soapstone looks great in a romantic, country kitchen. But a honed black granite would also look nice with a romantic, French or otherwise, kitchen. Black counters are so classic I think they can look great with a number of styles.

• sayde
    13 years ago

One thing I would like to point out about your top photo -- this is OT but please take note -- this is the same lovely faucet that I had originally chosen --and -- see -- they have it in front of a casement window that opens in! no no no! That's just what happened to me. I exchanged it for a bridge faucet that allows the window to open. Do not make this mistake!!!!!!!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

I think the sunflowers got you!

• noebee1313
    13 years ago

Lavender-- are you back to white cabinets?? I know recently you thought maybe you'd do stained lowers. Soapstone on a stained wood is going to look much different that soapstone on white cabinets. Just wondering....

• celineike
    13 years ago

those are beautiful pics! I think in a white kitchen Soapstone with a good sheen (v oilied) will shine and reflect a lot of light. I dont have a sunny kitchen, so for me I couldn't pull it off. I hope my quartz stone does the trick though.
    decorating with sunflowers is so peaceful1 i love it!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the responses. No, haven't changed my mind about the french country and yes, the sunflowers definitely 'got me' LOL.

I've been debating about what to do with my perimeter countertops. Was thinking ceramic tile, but had lots of advice to consider soapstone. Then, I found out a friend might not have room for their baby grand piano and thought...wow, I'd love to have something like that, but where would I put it? Made a few adjustments and put one in my plan (LOL) I may never get one, but it's nice to know I have the space and can put in something else, until one comes along!

Anyway, this made me think a shiny black wood stove would work better in the sunroom (with said piano) and that's when the soapstone started to make more sense. As for cabinets, I was thinking wood, but with white appliances and wanting to bounce the light around, I'm thinking white cabinets with a wood island would be better.

So, looked at tons of pictures of same and could not find anything I loved. Then, found this work table, thought how great it would look with marble top...and I'm back with work table! So, still have brick floors and whimsical backsplash and lots of french accents. Sorry for the long response, but since you asked... :)

Here's a picture of the work table. Not going to get this exact one, but could easily put a table onto a similar base, with a marble top, and have it just below counter height. Perfect for rolling out dough, since I'm 5'10".

{{gwi:1547698}}

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Francoise- Sorry, I almost forgot...the picture is from the June 2011 issue of BH&G's Kitchen and Bath Ideas, with the green kitchen on the front.

Sayde- Excellent point, about the window!

Mtnrdredux- LOL...you are so right :)

Noelle- I do like the wood, but the white just seems brighter and I really want to bounce some light around the space. Also, I didn't want to do marble on the perimeter countertops and I really like that with the wood.

Celine- I think your quartz will be beautiful!

Tracy- The reason for the changes (at least lately) is switching the dining area and kitchen, opens up the kitchen to the living room...and I wanted to tie in elements from the living room into the kitchen. That's why the vinyl 'brick' floors and less of the blue. I'll still have the vinyl 'wood' floors in the entry, living room and sunroom :)

Here's a link, if anyone wants to see more details, over on the Small Homes forum :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Please answer the questions that Traceee asked, I have the same ones. Direct questions are one thing but you seem to keep flipping and dreaming.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wizard- I just did...I'm guessing we cross posted. Most of my recent changes are due to flipping the kitchen and dining area and now having the kitchen open more to the entry and living room. The brick fireplace is my favorite feature in the living room, but a brick backsplash is not something I wanted, so I thought the floors would be a better choice. Still planning to do yellow and blue with lots of plants and some lavender accents :)

As for countertops, I think EVERYONE knows I've had a terrible time making up my mind. I don't like shiny surfaces, especially on the perimeter countertops and I don't want a busy, patterened countertop...since I want to use patterns in my fabric. Finding a countertop that would work and still be fairly low maintenance has been difficult, so I really appreciate the help and support I've gotten on GW! The black looked so dark...I just didn't think I would like it. Then, I saw this magazine picture and later went out to work in the garden...and the obvious hit me...I have black everywhere, in my arches, arbors, furniture, etc. (LOL)

{{gwi:329994}}

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

LL, I'm among the dizzy as well : ) but something in particular gave me pause -- if you are going with a marble-topped table instead of an island because it will be more mobile, check to see how heavy the marble will make the table. It may be that it will be too heavy to move easily. Also, and perhaps the greater concern especially if the table is not moved much, is that the weight with the marble top will cause the table's feet to make dents in the vinyl flooring...

Becky

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

hi Lavender,
    What's your actual time plan for the renovation? Do you begin it this summer?

I know you had an actual kitchen layout at some point that folks were helping work on - have you finalized the layout and gotten bids from your contractors on it yet? (I recall there were some structural concerns re. the placement of the chimney, etc.)

Are you having cabinets site-built, or do you have a specific cabinet firm in mind?

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

becky's right. You're definitely not going to be moving a marble-topped table, especially on vinyl. We have a small (30" square) Florence Knoll coffee table with a thin-ish marble top, and it's very heavy. It's on a flat-weave rug and I'm always afraid the legs are going to rip holes in it when it's moved. I don't recommend doing the table you describe and expecting it to be at all mobile. Maybe, like once every 2 or 3 years, veeerrrrry carefully.... but not on any regular basis.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I"m with Tracee on this one. If I remember correctly, a couple of months went by with going back and forth on layouts. You most often didn't want feedback that did not meet with your vision.(master bath issues... pantry issues) that's OK. However, you asked people to spend their time doing layouts all the while talking about finishes. Back at that time, questions about the roof lines were brought up. Still the flip flopping continued. You just recently met with an architect to find out that due to roof lines, what you kept going on about could not done as previously brought up. If I remember correctly, you were awaiting a budget to see what you could do. I think it may be wise to see what that budget is before you place multiple posts on multiple finishes that contradict each other.

I have no problem with someone changing their mind and exploring options. I've done that... most of us have done that. What I'm unsure about and wizard brought up, is if this is what your dreaming or if this is what your going to do. It would be so much more efficient for you to know what your budget is and time frame is; and then allow us to help you sift through the decision making process.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

LL, I'll be a little more blunt.

I understand doing pre planning, when do you actually start on this project?

Do you have an unlimited budget? Have you gotten any actual construction estimates? If you need a construction loan, don't you have to know what the bank will do?

Maybe I'm just more realistic, but why ask so many questions before you even have a working budget? Details can always be decided on later. I understand needing to figure out window placement but so much of what you post about sounds like just one big dream, I hope it doesn't come crashing down on you. That's why I'm asking.
    Maybe it's my real estate training as we always had to find out how much someone could afford before we wasted time showing them what they couldn't afford.

Do you have a GC yet? Interior details can be decided on later but a good GC could help you know if all this is affordable.

As for the piano, give that some real hard thought. Do you play already? A piano needs to be in a room with even heat all year and when saw your placement by the windows I wondered if you knew that. You would need steady heat in the winter and AC in the summer for it to stay tuned. We have a piano and I dislike the space it takes up.

Why the cross posting? I think you know what you want and can make some of these decisions on your own in due time. At this point I feel you are abusing all the good people here with your fantasies. You seem to avoid the realistic questions.

I said I was going to be blunt... not easy for me to do.

Nancy

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You know, I appreciate all the input, I really do, but I'm asking about soapstone vs. honed granite. Does anyone have any more responses on that?

As for the rest of your questions, I really appreciate all the interest in my plan and the helpful suggestions. I will read through all these, when I get my next break and do my best to answer your questions :)

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I definitely wanted marble and wanted soapstone but only found very dramatic veined pieces, some with green crystals in the veining that would have been fabulous in the right kitchen -- just not my kitchen, or they were precut to something like 27" and wouldn't work for my island without a lot of piecing.

I wasn't entirely comfortable with honed black granite, but I went looking and thought we'd try a sample (nothing in the yards was hone then -- not sure if you can find it honed now). I went looking at a yard and found Cambrian Black in a brushed or antiqued finish. No veins, but some texture and little crystalline bits, mostly circular, that my fabricator called ice flowers. It seemed to be what I was looking for and DH loved it too -- so that's what I've got.

If you can find the right soapstone, it's great stuff. If not, I think the antiqued Cambrian black is a great choice too. It's not exactly "honed" granite or soapstone, but it also isn't shiny, polished granite either. I put my black on the wood and the marble on the white cabinets, but it could have easily gone the other way. I think a little black fits in any room.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Becky and Staceyneil- Really good point about the weight of the marble. I wasn't planning to move the table a lot, but I like the idea that I can, if I need to. We have a huge family and with big get togethers, it would be nice to have more walkway space behind the stools. I will check with my GC about the weight :)

Circuspeanut- No plans to use custom cabinets, but I might include a few custom details. The chimney/structural concerns have pretty much been fixed (I hope) mainly because the wood stove is now in the sunroom. I did provide a link with more details and the plan, if anyone is interested. The renovation is still in the planning stages and once I finalize finishes, I hope to get a more detailed budget. We are not starting construction this summer, but are cleaning out decades of family history and hope to be ready to start work in the fall.

Wizard- I can appreciate bluntness, but I'm not sure why you feel you need to be blunt. Yes, I do play the piano (pretty well, in fact) and the sound board should not be against an outside wall. You make a good point about heating and AC and yes, I would have them, since this room is no longer my main access to the outdoors, with the added mudroom. Originally it was more of a porch, now it's a sunroom.

I don't understand the question about cross posting? Because I already asked a question on another forum, I should retype it all out here, when asked details, not pertaining to my OP? I don't mean that to sound abrupt, but I'm not what you're saying here.

As for budget, of course I don't have an unlimited budget (wouldn't that be nice?) which is why quartzite is out and so are the wood perimeter cabinets (which look best IMHO with wood cabinets). It's not all dreaming, but the price of different finishes is always a consideration.

We do have a GC (as mentioned in the link) and earlier in this response.

Remodelfla- I'm a little confused by your response. Yes, months ago, I specifically stated that I couldn't believe the harsh responses I got concerning my floor plan, on the building and remodeling forums. As mentioned not too long ago in our 'clearing the air' post (for lack of a better name) if someone says...I'm feeling picked upon/looking for sympathy...that's probably what they want. I was pretty clear (I thought) and got ripped by many for not being open to criticism and expecting rubber stamp approval, etc. Of course, there were many nice responses too, but there were some harsh ones.

Rooflines have been an issue and our GC has been very helpful. Haven't actually met with an architect yet, but plan to make sure the final plan will work and see if there's anything else we need to change. We're getting close to a final budget (at least pre-architect final budget) but that's one reason I've been making a few more changes and trying to finalize finish choices.

Now, one reason I didn't post my floor plan, is not because I don't like the feedback, so much as it seems to cause a lot of distraction and the responses go off in another direction, sometimes not even kitchen related. I don't know how many times chimney and woodstove issues would come up, when I was asking about a kitchen finish. Obviously relevant, but not to the point where it became the entire focus of the responses.

Yes, I know I've asked a lot of questions, but I've seen this trend in other people's posts, as well. While I can see that we all have questions and want to share our wisdom and advice...it's easy to lose track of the original question.

Don't get me wrong, a question about a product or finish is never a hijack (IMHO) but a chance to share info. However, I think this post illustrates the kind of thing I'm talking about. I don't mind answering questions, but whether I build today or ten years from now, has nothing to do with me asking a question about a countertop finish. Whether I have an unlimited buget or not doesn't have anything to do with soapstone vs. granite. Whether I play the piano is really not relevant to that question, either.

So, before you some of you may think I am mad or not open to feedback...I think I've done a pretty fair job in responding to a lot of questions that have very little to do with my post. I also think this is one of the reasons we are having frustration on the forum.

Hey, if you just think I ask too many questions or change my mind too often, that's your opinion and I firmly believe you're welcome to it. I'm all about the right to have an opinion...but you also have the right to not answer a post. If you think I am ditzy and can't make a decision, that doesn't hurt my feelings, but it does take away from the responses to my OP.

So, if anyone has anything to add about soapstone vs. granite, I would really appreciate it :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lascatx- Thank you so much for your response. That's a very good idea and if I can't find the soapstone I like, the antiqued Cambrian black granite sounds like another good choice. I think you're right, a little bit of black does fit in every room :)

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Some thoughts...

Unless you get one of the "hard" soapstones, soapstone will scratch and chip easily. Can you live with that? I.e., are you OK with "patina"? Yes, the soapstone can be "fixed", but you probably won't be doing it that often...so you will have patina.

A dense black granite, OTOH, will not chip or scratch.

Both will show greasy fingerprints...enhancing the honed will help reduce them; oiling the soapstone will do the same.

Speaking of oiling...if you want the true black look, you will probably have to oil the soapstone fairly frequently early on. Later, as the soapstone "ages", it will keep the oiled look for longer and longer.

FWIW...I toyed with the idea of soapstone for short time, but my DH was against it (b/c it reminded him of a chemistry lab) and, in the end, I realized it would be too "informal" for my kitchen. I stayed with my polished black countertops and can honestly say it was the better option.

I still love soapstone, though. It's funny, I don't like swirls, etc. in granite, but I really like moderate veining in soapstone...go figure!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: What keeps soapstone darker longer. . .The answer! ! !

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

LL, I think it's increasingly difficult to respond to your posts, because even the simplest query is a relative question. Soapstone vs granite? There is no absolute: the answers all depend on what YOUR situation and preferences are, and yours keeps shifting.

Money: What's your countertop budget?

Size: How many square feet of stone are we talking here?

Harmony: What finish are all the cabinets in the kitchen?

Style: Are you going for storybook or French country or bungalow style?

Light: How many windows are in the space, and how many will you be adding/taking away in the remodel?

Function: How much prep space will there be with other surfaces in the space? Will this be the main hard-working counter surface or a more peripheral space?

Folks can't answer questions in a vacuum, you know? :-) I think that there is ample space in this forum for the random philosophical question, but your posts require a certain investment in your own specific kitchen evolution and your many changes of heart, and I just can't keep up. I think I would do better helping you when you reach a more determinate stage of the remodel next autumn, so that I can feel like my advice and time spent typing will be productive. So with that, I'll bow out quietly. Happy dreaming!

13 years ago

LL, with all due respect, your posts have covered an awful lot of territory, and criss-crossed that territory a good number of times too : ). You might not be getting the answers you want because some are wondering whether soapstone is just another passing fancy, to be discarded when the next color or surface strikes that fancy lol. Even your subject title seems to acknowledge that some of the suggestions to your questions have gone unheeded, which might give members with limited time pause. And sometimes I get the feeling, as circuspeanut mentions, that we have to try to hit a moving/shifting target lol.

circuspeanut's reply reminds me of an article I just started reading in a new issue of a gardening magazine -- "Calming the Chaos: Unifying a Horticultural Zoo"; one of the points made by the author, a Saskatoon landscape architect, is that "It doesn't matter where your interest lies, it's important to pick a theme and run with it". It occurred to me when I first started reading it yesterday that the article has great application for kitchens as well...

By the way, much better to have these other points raised, I think, than to have one of those lonely, unanswered threads : ). People are raising various points other than soapstone because, trust me, they *do* care about you and your future kitchen, and, I think, are trying to keep you focused so that kitchen can finally come to fruition. We want to see you go from dreaming to building!

Becky

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Folks, if you think ll is wasting everyone's time by the wishy-washiness, the simple solution is to not open a thread she starts.

LL, If you really want to know the pros and cons of granite vs. soapstone, go to google and put it

pros cons soapstone granite site:ths.gardenweb.com

Then read all the hits. It's really been quite well documented here.

It's also helpful if you can make the subject line reflect the topic.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Folks, if you think ll is wasting everyone's time by the wishy-washiness, the simple solution is to not open a thread she starts.

I knew someone would say that. It's wrong.

First, every new thread started pushes another thread off the front page, and eventually off the back page making it impossible to search for except through Google, which many new members may not know to try. If the new thread is a completely legitimate question, well, c'est la vie. But we used to have some concern for starting new threads around here.

Second, I think members want to know their time is being well used, and they shouldn't have to conduct an FBI check on a poster's previous history to know that. They should be able to assume that their time is respected.

whether I build today or ten years from now, has nothing to do with me asking a question about a countertop finish. Whether I have an unlimited buget or not doesn't have anything to do with soapstone vs. granite.

Indeed it does. It matters whether this is a real renovation project, with a realistic budget and a real-world time line, or if this is just someone playing with the forum as a hobby and a place to post pretty pictures. Especially since there are people with urgent questions (as in, the fabricators-are-here-now type of urgency) whose needs clearly come before a theoretical, daydream fancy. At the very least, someone who is not planning a real renovation project, or a reno that will start in ten years, should label their questions as such, so that commenters have the freedom to choose how and where they will spend their limited time.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marcy- The subject line does reflect the topic, at least some what, since it was due to recommendations from GWers, that I was thinking about using soapstone...so I was listening to some of you. And, after seeing the original picture I posted, I thought a soapstone that looked like that, might work in my kitchen. I didn't think the greener types (while beautiful) or those with other veining would work with my plan for a french country kitchen, with blue and yellow accents.

Actually, my question was not the pros vs cons of granite and soapstone, but whether there is a soapstone without the veining, or would it be better to use a honed granite, to achieve the look of the countertop in the picture. I have looked on the Internet, but in many of the pictures, it's difficult to tell if there's veining in the soapstone or not.

Becky- I'd like to start building, too, but since I still have a few months before that going to happen, I'll have to stick with dreaming for now :)

Circuspeanut- I'm sorry you feel that way, but again, the question was more about whether there was soapstone available that looked like the countertop in the picture, or whether a honed granite would be better.

Buehl- Thanks for the response. Chipping is a concern, but I've read that there are harder soapstones available. I've never been a big granite fan, mainly due to the shine and pattern, but it's interesting that the swirls don't bother you in the soapstone. What kind of granite did you end up choosing?

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say it is wrong. Not responding is the only tool available to keep it off the front page for very long. Is there a better way without a heavy handed moderator?

13 years ago

LL, aside from the fact that it's hard to tell from online pics, just because something is available in one part of the country, or North America, doesn't mean it will be available in your area. Or if it is, that it's in your budget...

The best thing to do, I think, is to start visiting stoneyards in your area and asking questions and collecting samples. That would be a dandy way to spend the next few months, besides gardening : ). If nothing else, as Kellie wrote the other day, you'll be way ahead in the Christmas shopping department!

Becky

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I ended up with polished Absolute Black Premium...and it was a "premium" in price LOL!

I had originally wanted "Diamond Black"...a very deep black with silver inclusions scattered throughout. However, by the time I was ready for my granite, the the quarry was no longer producing it! I then embarked on a 2 or 3 month search for either an unsold lot of Diamond Black or something similar. (That's when I started toying with the idea of soapstone).

I also started thinking about Absolute Black...but all the slabs I could find were actually a medium gray. Apparently the AB quarries were only producing grays! (This also put me on guard against dyed stone...a tactic some of the Chinese quarries were pulling. They dyed their stones black so they looked black, but in reality they were gray and, over time, the dye would leach out. I did not want to end up with a splotchy stone or one that I was going to have to remove all the dye from and then end up w/a gray counter!)

After much searching throughout the MD/VA/DC area, I finally found one very small lot (5 slabs, we needed 3) of "Absolute Black Premium" that was a true black. It also had a very, very light scattering of silver inclusions. While the inclusions weren't as numerous or as bright/big as those in the Diamond Black, the stone was still pretty (to me at least!) My DH also liked it so we went forward with it...after getting them to whack off a piece from one of the slabs for me to take home & test. Thankfully, it passed all the tests with flying colors! No staining. No etching. No dye. (I tested with water, lemon juice, vinegar, red wine, acetone, and denatured alcohol.)

• marcydc
    13 years ago

No, the subject line "See, I do listen to you" does not reflect what the subject is. You've received a lot of advice over the last year. One couldn't possibly guess what the subject might allude too unless they were inside your brain already.

You might get a better response with something like:

"Can someone recommend a dark soapstone with no veining?"

Then those who know a lot about soapstone can respond and those who don't know anything or don't want to discuss countertops with you can ignore easily.

And I said pros and cons because you said this:

So, if anyone has anything to add about soapstone vs. granite, I would really appreciate it :)

Sounds like pros and cons to me, but if it is the veining question, then the subject line I suggested to above would clarify that as well.

But all that aside, the best way to learn about surfaces that come from nature is to go visit them at your local stone yard. What you like on paper (or in pretty pictures) and what you can get either because of budget, availability, or product traits may differ greatly. What I thought I wanted and what I got don't resemble one another at all. I also think it might have been easier to pick slabs before cabinets like my friend did. Then other things kind of fall into place.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Becky- Good idea! Kellie makes a good point about Christmas shopping...and you're right, if it ever quits raining, there's a lot of gardening (especially weeding) in my future :)

Beuhl- I'm glad you found a great countertop, after all your searching. Thank you for the tip on the black dye. I didn't know China was doing that, but I'll be careful to check now, when I'm looking at samples. I don't want a gray counter, either, especially if I think I'm buying a black one! I'll have to see what is available in my area.

Marcy- Thanks for the example, again, another reason to go see the samples, in person.

Good point about the granite vs. soapstone, but I was referring to the veining, as originally posted. I sometimes don't think people read anything, but the topic line. I can see not reading every response, but I don't think some people even read the OP.

I've seen this happen in other threads, too...and it always seems to lead to confusion. Yes, responding posters may feel they don't want to waste their time typing a response, but the OP also doesn't want to 'waste their time' with a short post, that isn't read carefully, either.

Marcolo- Do you really want to go down that road, so to speak? Who will determine what is relevant? Are we going to restrict only OPs or the responding posts, too? That, my friend, is a very slippery slope, IMHO :)

• artemis78
    13 years ago

@Lavender, you can also check the archives for an answer to your specific question---there are a bunch of threads on exactly this topic (some as recent as a few months ago, and I think even one with one of those photos in it!) If you search in Google, you should turn them up pretty readily.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Marcolo- Do you really want to go down that road, so to speak? Who will determine what is relevant? Are we going to restrict only OPs or the responding posts, too? That, my friend, is a very slippery slope, IMHO :)

I don't know what you're referring to. I wasn't discussing topic relevance.

Several posters here have raised serious concerns about whether you are wasting their time. You haven't answered their questions. Since you keep dancing around the topic, you leave it to us to be blunt. So:

1. Please show some small indication of respect to the forum in the massive volume of threads you start--far more than any other poster here.

2. Please tell people in advance if this is a real project with a deadline and a budget, and serious questions, or just a fantasy, so they can use their own judgment in responding.

There are no slippery slopes here. Your posts have gone over the cliff into forum abuse long ago.

• melissastar
    13 years ago

LL: I think you may have misunderstood the budget question. You have said you won't have a budget until you meet with the architect and general contractor. But they won't give you a budget, they'll give you an estimate of how much it will cost to do what you want to do.

What folks are asking is have you decided how much you can afford and/or how much you are willing to part with to get the kitchen of your dreams? It is a way of helping you to narrow your choices. You've been participating in this and other forums long enough to know that the same kitchen layout can cost $40 K or $140K depending on materials used and appliances purchased.

As other responders have noted, you have been all of the map on this remodel. I understand that you now have a layout you like. That's great. And I think we all appreciate that visions change as we get more information and are exposed to new ideas. Your vision seems to have undergone more new iterations than most, and it is now proving to be a source of frustration for other participants in that we (they) are being asked to rehash much of the same information that has already been passed on to you or to examine in detail every possible permutation.

There are two things any poster can and should do to be respectful of others' time and effort. First, as Marcolo and others have suggested, is search for the answer in previous threads. Many of the questions you have asked in recent weeks have been well covered...some in threads you originated.

And second, try to narrow the options. For some fortunate participants on this forum, taste and preferences may be the only factors which narrow the options. But for most of us, the most serious limiting factor is $$$. You have acknowledged that you don't have an unlimited budget. So help us help you, by clueing us in on a range. Then we can spend our time usefully offering realistic suggestions.

And if the budget does have a limit...ANY limit...prioritize what's important. Surfaces? Applilances? Where are you willing to cut back if you blow the budget somewhere else?

Failing to do these three things, is a good part of what is leading some of us to conclude that you are still in the dreaming stage. And while it is amusing to sometimes fantasize with you about snow white kitchens, it can be wearying after the first dozen versions.

Not trying to be mean or harsh, just trying to help...

• paulines
    13 years ago

I think as mentioned above, the best decision you could make at this point is stained or painted cabinets. This will give you a jumping off point for the aesthetics and feel of your kitchen.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Melissastar- I appreciate you trying to help :)

I think the best thing to do at this point is start over. To hopefully answer several of your questions, I have posted an update on our farmhouse remodel.

Thank you to all those who have responded to my original question. I will see what is available in our area and appreciate the info on dyes, softness, etc. :)

• riosamba
    13 years ago

LL, would you consider keeping your long range planning on a single thread? People that are enjoying your journey can easily find you there, and a great deal of people's distress- the too frequent bumping down of threads related to active remodels- could be avoided.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!