SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Tell me if I'm a good candidate for soapstone...

nomorebluekitchen
16 years ago

When I joined the board I was set on having granite counters, but after several weeks of reading constant references to soapstone, I have started to ask myself if I should consider using it instead.

Here are some key facts that might help you.

1) in the kitchen design showroom, my husband and I both loved the soapstone counter in the Brookhaven display. The KD there warned us away saying it was a very high maintenance surface.

2) In a different showroom, DH and I both loved AB honed granite. We both found it soft and warm and just loved the texture, for lack of a better word. However, I eventually learned that ABH was not for us after bringing a sample home and living with it for a few days, plus putting lemon juice, etc. on it.

3) Our kitchen will be modern in a mid-50s house that has some contemporary elements. Cabs will be either slab or shaker stained a medium tone, with oak hardwoods. Appliances most likely stainless. Until I began to wonder about soapstone, I'd sort of decided on a black granite called opalescence.

4) Our style is warm contemporary. We like clean lines & minimal decorative details, but lots of warm textures and colors.

5) We are messy people. We frequently go to bed with stuff on the kitchen counters and it doesn't bother us at all. We have 3 small children (9,7,4) and I have enough stuff that is important to hassle them about (manners, chores, temper management) without fussing with them over countertops. So we need something I'm not going to have to baby.

6) We currently have granite that we think is Venetian Gold. It came with the house when we bought 6 years ago. I would never pick it myself; way too busy for my taste and way too gold/yellow, BUT I love that you cannot see anything on this counter. I have, at times, had coffee grounds and pancake batter splattered on it and you could not tell at all unless you touched it. (I know, I know, that is both gross and cool). We also love that the granite appears to be bulletproof; we've never had any kind of stain or issue whatsoever except for a chip which was easily fixed.

7) I just realized tonight that the color of the laminate I put in my new laundry room and pantry -- Oiled Soapstone. When I picked it, I had no idea what they were imitating!

8) I wouldn't mind sealing or oiling type of maintenance, but I would hate a counter that I had to baby and stop people from doing stuff to protect it.

Soapstone lovers or haters, what do you think???

Anita

Comments (12)